Associated Press Releases Photo of Dying Marine?????

Even after the parents said not to.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates is objecting “in the strongest terms” to an Associated Press decision to transmit a photograph showing a mortally wounded 21-year-old Marine in his final moments of life, calling the decision “appalling” and a breach of “common decency.”
The AP reported in a story that it decided to make the image public anyway because it “conveys the grimness of war and the sacrifice of young men and women fighting it.”

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20090904/pl_politico/26759

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 1:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This is sick and disgusting. This shows a total lack in DECENCY and IS APPALLING.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• How shameful. I guess the reporter thinks his / her message is more important than a dying man's family and the dignity of his last moments.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I'm a vet, and my husband is Active Duty. He's done time in Iraq, and we have friends that are there now, and we have friends who are also in Afghanistan or have been there.

I want to vomit when I think about this. I just can't help but wonder if the people who chose to ignore the pain and privacy of the fallen, even in the face of their EXPRESS wish to have their privacy respected - would be ok with, say, me going in and taking a picture of THEIR loved one dying and plastering it all over the place, because, after all, death is a grim thing and NONE of us can apparently appreciate that without having pictures. And if that's so, and we need the picture of this fallen Marine, then maybe they should write the accompanying story in Dr Seus rhyme, because apparently we're too stupid to grasp the horrors without violating their dignity and privacy.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:21 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• People need to see what's happening over there...we are too coddled, we have to stop censoring ourselves so much.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 1:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• cont

Frankly, I feel that this Marine was killed by enemy combatants, but he was raped by the AP.

(by this, I mean that he and his family were so profoundly violated, I can't even fathom it, and that's coming from someone who's not only a vet and an AD spouse, but also a woman who was raped).
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Well had the family consented to having the picture released I would say it's fine, but I'm on the fence otherwise. After all, we don't expect reporters to get permission from all the families in Iraq/Afghanistan when publishing pictures of all the men/women/children who have died in the wars, why should it be different when it's someone from the US? Also, I think it is important for everyone to see "such a sad image" because it would be irresponsible for reporters to cover up the reality of war. People die.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 1:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Any suggestions as to how?

We are too sensitive.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 1:24 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• That's terrible. That poor family.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:27 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I don't think it's going to make it all better, but it will make us more aware.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 1:29 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• So, for anyone who thinks it's ok - what about this then.

NOT that I wish this on anyone, but let's say that your child is walking to school or to a friends house, or you're in a car accident, and your child is brutally killed. Should the image of your child be blasted all over the AP without your permission?

After all, the realities of life are that people are hit by cars and killed in accidents every day, and we shouldn't be shielded from the realities of it, right?

Because see, it's not about shielding US - the public. It's about respecting the rights of a private individual, and contrary to the beliefs of many, a military member is still a private citizen, not someone who chose to be a celebrity in some manner (politics, entertainment, etc). And as such, their privacy and grief should be respected.

You can report without exploiting. They didn't do that in this case.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:29 PM on Sep. 4, 2009