Do you think DUI checkpoints are legal?

The Fourth Amendment states "guards against unreasonable searches and seizures." Most DUI checkpoints are avoided by offenders. Most bar owners have scanners and tell people where the checkpoints are going to be. The second a person drives through one they txt it to all their friends and it gets forwarded to half the local population in less than 10 minutes. So with these things in mind why do the police even do them. On another note along the same line my husband the loving goofball he is left our temp tag in the window after we received our permanent tags and we were pulled over the cop comes up and the first thing out of his mouth was can I search your car? I asked why and he said it was routine to ask. WTH routine to ask for not even a ticket able offense? We let him search the car to keep him from giving us any grief. I was still miffed afterwords though.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Are u for real? LOLZ
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I don't have an issue with DUI checkpoints because I don't drink and drive. I don't see why anyone who aren't DUI would care.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:21 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I don't like being treated like a criminal w/o suspicion.

I've been stopped by DNR agents to search my vehicle for dead animal parts...same concept as a DUI stop. I told them to go fuck themselves, and drove off.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 1:25 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• No, I don't think it's unreasonable to remind people that it's not polite to kill a family of four because the Jager shots were half off for Labor Day.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:25 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• * toriandgrace
    You do realize that our tax money pays for these things. Have you ever been singled out in a DUI checkpoint they search your entire care, run your plates, do a computer background check on you. God forbid if you have a conceal carry permit on you and have a gun. Well then you are going to be there for awhile. In the mean time all the drunks are bypassing the checkpoint because they know about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I think the DUI stops are wonderful and very necessary. They can stop me anytime. I don't drive if I have even had one beer during the evening. ANd they can search my car anytime,too. If you have nothing to hide, why would you be upset ? I sure wouldn't be telling any cop to "F" Off either. That's inviting trouble. And its not too classy either.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 1:30 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I can see both sides of this, and I am on the fence with this one.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 1:32 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Sweetie, they can search my car all they want, I don't have anything in there, a couple Dora books, maybe a sippy cup.

Not everyone who drinks and drives comes from a bar, some drink at parties, home, etc. And if they stop one drunk driver and prevent one deadly accident, then I think it's all worth it.

I nearly got hit by a drunk driver, but they hit the car in front of me instead. I am willing to be inconvenienced for the possible safety of others.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:33 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• More people are killed by non-drunk drivers in traffic accidents. So I guess by this logic we should stop everyone from driving period.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• The Supreme court says they are. Although 3 justices disagreed.

Here is why they said they are constitutional:

In sum, the balance of the state's interest in preventing drunken driving, the extent to which this system can reasonably be said to advance that interest, and the degree of intrusion upon individual motorists who are briefly stopped, weighs in favor of the state program. We therefore hold that it is consistent with the Fourth Amendment. . . .

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 1:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2009