Number of Americans on food stamps rises

WASHINGTON – More Americans than ever before received food stamps in June, the Department of Agriculture said on Thursday, with more than 35 million Americans receiving assistance.

The numbers are 22 percent higher than in June 2008. The number of Americans receiving food stamps rose by more than 700,000 people compared to May.

The USDA administers the food stamp program, which was renamed in October as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, through its Food and Nutrition Service. The program helps to cover grocery costs for poor Americans.

The food stamp program was established by Congress in 1964, which was then revised by the Food Stamp Act of 1977.

The average recipient of food stamps in June received more than $133 in assistance. The average household received more than $293. Overall, the USDA distributed more than $4

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Overall, the USDA distributed more than $4.6 billion in food stamps in June. They went to 35,122,123 recipients.

The numbers, while only one indicator, are a sign that Americans continue to struggle with the country's economic downturn. June was the eighth straight month that the number of people on food stamps rose.

Persons or households who have a gross monthly income of 130 percent or less of the U.S. poverty level are eligible for food stamps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I would expect that number to keep rising as more and more people start running out of unemployment. The flood of layoffs over the last year will really hit hard then.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:21 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Doesn't surprise me. As a above minimum wage job holding single mother who got child support I still qualified with three children. I also qualified for Medicaid for the children. Its crazy. I shouldn't have qualified for anything, but the poverty levels are based on cost of living and that is how high and outrageous it is in this country. Also, this wasn't recent it this was ten years ago.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My fear, the extension in unemployment was just a band aid for a much bigger problem. The reality is starting to settle..The less than 25% of the stimulus that was RUSHED through and shoved down our taxpaying throats isn't solving anything.  It is only pushing the problems down a few months...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Is anyone surprised by this? I'm not. Gas prices rose. Food prices rose. Utility costs rose. Health Insurance premiums went up. Auto insurance premiums went up. Job losses are up. Clothing and diaper prices are up. Let's not forget that many people can't find second hand clothing anymore because of the law change. Many of the unemployed can't find a job, or a job with pay that compares to what they used to make. How is a family supposed to survive?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Where is my FS ,the stae given me a hard time because we have bank accounts,my doctor decided that I am a fall risk,and I need a health aide,well I didn't know the state help pay for this, my DH is 70,we have worked all our lives,we never received any type of PA, these people made me feel so ashamed, I told them,I rather fall on the floor than let them get away with downgrading me.It's awful,they said my household would have to be below a certain level.Have anybody ever heard of this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Sep. 4, 2009