Is "personality" taught or does it develope naturally?

My baby is 7 months and shes already seems to have an attitude. SHe wants to be her own boss. SLams things when upset. ANd throws some minor fits with anger.
Is this normal. If not, what can I do to correct it? SHe is in a loving and peaceful environmment with lots of attention.

nycsexymommy

Asked by nycsexymommy at 1:20 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I AM A FIRM BLEIVER THAT CHILDREN ARE BORN WITH THEIR OWN UNIQUE PERSONALITY AND IT DEVELOPS AS WE GROW. I WORKED WITH NEWBORNS FOR YEARS AND I SAW IT ON A DAILY BASIS, THEIR OWN PERSONALITIES SHOWING A FEWS DAYS AFTER BIRTH.

Answer by older at 1:27 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Children are born with the personality they will have for life. You can try to mold it and you can definitely set limits to develop self control, but not so much as a baby. You can start teaching them "no" very early, but it takes lots of repetition.

Answer by missanc at 1:34 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• children have their own personalities....i've got 3 totally different kids.

its up to us though to mold those personalities and uniquenesses into the people they will grow up to be.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:36 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I've always felt that kids are born with personality traits... but looking at the differences between my 1st & 2nd daughters has convinced me! Two totally different baby girls -- raised in the same enviornment.
    MarigoldsMama

Answer by MarigoldsMama at 1:40 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• both. they are born with their own personalities, but their environment makes a difference too. so if you have 2 kids, they can have completely different personalities, but if those kids grew up in a different home, they might be different too. just my opinion
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Anger fits are normal at that age.. It's usually related to them wanting to do more than they are actually capable of doing. They are also experimenting with their new emotions and seeing your reactions. Not reacting to anger or correcting what is making them angry if it's something you can correct (ie: pain, hunger, whatever) (if it's not related to physical limitations -- there's nothing you can do for that, you can remove her from what is frustrating her though) is the best thing to do.

Children are born with some innate personality and with a temperament. You can mold it some with environment, and a good loving environment will let them express their potential in a more positive light. Negative, negative light.

I think what you are seeing is determination.. It's a good trait, not a bad one. It's just coming out as anger because of her age and limitations.

JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:26 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• LOL, it's completely normal for your child to act out like this. When an infant is frustrated, it's only compounded by the fact that they do not have the language capacity to tell you just they want or need. Just be there for her and comfort her. You doing this teaches her that not only will you be there for her but to act calm and reassuring when something unexpected happens.
    Ugh, my mother was/is a yeller. If she was frustrated she yelled. It drove me nuts. I promised myself that my child would not see me lose control (especially over stupid little stuff). She would learn by example that staying calm and assessing the situation is the best way to approach life.
    You cannot control how your child feels, but you can certainly teach her what to do with those feelings.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 5:29 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• It is both. You definitely have an influence over their personlity, but they are also born with their own unique one.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 6:15 PM on Sep. 4, 2009