Early Childhood Education?

I would love to go back to school and get a degree in early childhood education. I would love to be with children all day. I have two small kids of my own and I have always said I want to be a teacher and be with kids. I really dont know how to get started or what to do or how hard it is. If any moms out there can help me out with any information or pros and cons that would be wonderful. Thanks

QTMamma01

Asked by QTMamma01 at 1:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in

• i have my b.s. in e.c.e.d. depends on which college how hard it is.... i went to Kent state university. it has a competitive program that is cut to 50 students per yr .... i made the cut surprisingly... i have taught second grade for 3 years and been a title one tutor for 3 years... i really do enjoy it, i found managing a classroom of 30 + kids was NOT FOR ME... i can do it but it is stressful!! look into title one teaching. it is a job that a lot of school hire people into because it is simpler than a classroom. i am sticking with it though.. the eced degree is good in that you are hqt (highly qualified teacher) by the new standards of no child left behind but a big part of that is you can only teach prek-3rd grade... elementary degrees are 1-6.... so it limits the jobs you can apply for but you are more valuable if you want to teach prek-3... anyways it is a good job, summers off with the kids!!

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:47 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I have my BS in ECE as well. My problem with it is that it limits you in the Public Education System when it is time for employment. If your to go for Ele Ed you can still work with the little guys but have a wider net to work with. I work as a student helper in our district so I am considered highly qualified as far as a para professional so that is also a plus. If you like working one on one that is another way to go. Good luck!
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I have an Early Ed degree and teach preschool. I love it but am pursuing a job with a bit older children. I took classes online and got my degree in 6 months through Ellis Institute of Technology. I think the link is ellis.nyit.edu. It costs $85 to start and then you pay per class after that. It only cost me about $2000 for my degree and it's been accpeted every where I've applied. Plus it's and accredited college and you can transfer your credits pretty much any where!
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 10:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2009