Early Childhood Education?

I would love to go back to school and get a degree in early childhood education. I would love to be with children all day. I have two small kids of my own and I have always said I want to be a teacher and be with kids. I really dont know how to get started or what to do or how hard it is. If any moms out there can help me out with any information or pros and cons that would be wonderful. Thanks

QTMamma01

Asked by QTMamma01 at 1:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm a certified teacher, but I'm certified in secondary ed (English grades 6 through 12). Early childhood, like any teacher degree, is a Bachelor's Degree. In my state, Texas, it usually takes most 5 years instead of 4 years to complete. I can tell you though that the Early childhood ed program is super easy, just time consuming. Your education classes will be your easiest ones to take. Most education majors have more trouble with their College Algebra class than they do their education classes.

I don't know what state you're in, but the TX exam for early ed is hard for many education majors. We have a study manual that you can purchase. If your state has an exam, definitely study the manual before taking the exam.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:51 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• You can get an Early Childhood degree at a community or technical college in 2 years of fulltime study. One drawback is that daycare/preschool teachers are paid very low and usually don't have benefits. In my city the wages range from $6.50 an hour to $10 an hour with NO benefits whatsoever. Long hours. You can also get a Teacher certificate for daycare/preschool on line at www.carecourses.com (it lists the requirements for each state).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:49 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I have been a preschool special education teacher for over 20 years! I love my job and my kids! I am certified Birth to 5 years of age. The children in my program have various disabilities, but I also have typically developing children of the same age in the class. What I have seen lately is that there are many teachers with regular early childhood degrees, certified Kindergarten through 6th grade. Many of them take substitute jobs once they finish college, just because the turnover rate for teachers is slow. You might want to consider a preschool - 6th or a preschool special needs degree because those who have a specialization often find a permanent position quicker. I can also tell you that there is a law that says, By the year 2012, each state will have free preschool for every 4 year old that wants to enroll. That's alot of kids, so states are having to hire lots of preschool teachers! Good Luck with your decision
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 8:59 AM on Sep. 6, 2009