Computers and children?

I'm looking for you opinion. Should children use computers? At what age should they start?

jillybean6781

Asked by jillybean6781 at 1:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• My three year old plays a Dora game on my computer. It teaches colors, matching, sequencing, etc. She only plays MAYBE 2 hours a week. She'd play all day if we let her though. I don't think young children should have unsupervised access to the internet, but educational games, why not?
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:40 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My older boys started on the computer when they were 2. Mil had a computer and bought some preschool games for them to help entertain them at her house when she would babysit them. They are now 11 and 13 and still play on the computer once in a while. My youngest is 3 and has just started playing on the computer.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:41 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Yes. Computers are so common place, that your child may fall behind if they cannot learn how to operate it. Many jobs require basic computer knowledge and word processing skills. The longer they wait to learn it, the harder it may be to master.

Also, computers, as well as TV and "smart toys" are a great educational tool. My 2 year old play Toddler games that teachers her colors, actions/consequences, numbers, letters, songs, etc. It's also starting to teach her the keyboard and mouse.

I don't think they should use them 24/7, and I think they should just be a tool that mommy and daddy can use with them to teach. Obivously, as they get older and earn more rights, less supervision is necessary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• When they are old enough to click a mouse lol. Computers are here to stay. One day I think they will replace text books and paper in schools all together. The more you know, the better off you are.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:20 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I agree with salexander, at my college everything is turned in online through a program called angel
    serenaxxmarie

Answer by serenaxxmarie at 5:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I don't let my kids use the computer at home. My husband has pretty much destroyed the extra one (that was supposed to be for the kids). It's so bogged down it barely runs and no one touches my computer because I know they will break something. Plus when they were allowed to use the computer all they did was fight over it. It was just a pain.
    But at school they have computers once a week. My 9yo has already learned how to surf the net, find stuff on the computer and is learning to type. They start computer class in the preschool (so 3 and 4 year olds). Not sure what they did but for kindergarten it is all about getting them used to using a mouse, finding stuff on the computer, playing educational games and being able to find the letters to type their name. My kids love computer class.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My daughter is 7 yrs old and she has her own computer. That her daddy rebuilt for her and painted etc. She was 5-5 1/2 when given her own pc. She has learning games on it. And this month we put internet on hers but it is only that she can go on Disney.com and Learning/sites to help her in school. She cannot log into anything else without a password.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 9:58 PM on Sep. 5, 2009