Has anyone ever had an ED-NOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified)?

What makes an eating disorder "not otherwise specified)? What are some signs to help you know if you are suffering from some type of eating disorder?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I looked it up and the best I could find that was understandable is a person who is either bullimic or anorexic but can't be diagnosed in one or the other because of a symptom or two they don't have. Example, an anorexic person is said to begin to stop having menstrual cycles. So, a person can have all other symptoms of being anorexic, but since this person may still have a period, they won't be diagnosed as a full anorexic. I don't really understand it totally either. I
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 7:30 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I would add that many people have a very unhealthy relationship with food, but not necessarily anorexia or bulimia. For example, I think my mom has an eating disorder, but not one of those. For as long back as I can remember, she's always obsessed over food and her weight. She will go on a very strict diet (whatever fad diet is in style), and she will deprive herself of food. She'll do this for weeks on end, then she'll break down and eat a whole bag of chocolate chips and actually open cans of evaporated milk and drink them straight. But she won't barf it up like a bulimic does. She'll do it for a day or two, then start feeling guilty and go back to an abnormally strict diet. She does this back and forth thing all the time. I remember as a kid seeing my mom living for weeks at a time on nothing but diet coke and rice cakes. To me, this is not someone who has a healthy approach, but rather a disorder of some sort.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Bulimia refers to binging and purging. In other words it means you stuff yourself with food and puke it out. Anorexia is self starvation. Anorexics are usually more sickly looking than bulimics and are treated as inpatients, while bulimics are treated as outpatients, but both are fatal and can cause severe problems. Then there's gluttony, which is eating excessive amounts of food, and having an addiction or emotional attachment to it. All three are diseases that typically start with your mind or emotions. An anorexic person does not have to be 60 pounds and dying to be considered an anorexic. There's also another eating disorder called pica, which involves eating non-food substances.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I have ED-NOS. I fit all the criteria for anorexia-purging type except I have never lost my menstrual period. If you fit most of the criteria for a specific eating disorder but fall short of just one or two they will usually end up diagnosing you as ED-NOS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Dec. 17, 2009

• ditto, "I have ED-NOS. I fit all the criteria for anorexia/bulimia type except I have never lost my menstrual period. If you fit most of the criteria for a specific eating disorder but fall short of just one or two they will usually end up diagnosing you as ED-NOS. "

--to a "T"
    katatrinakay

Answer by katatrinakay at 10:23 PM on Jun. 11, 2010