What do you think about this?

I will post the link in the answer below, so people can just click on it. I am originally from Texas, and I am all for the right to shoot someone if they break into your house, but I also think people in that situation need to exercise caution and remain calm before shooting at anyone. Yes, these kids were trying to break into the home. Yes, the family could have been in danger, nobody knows what the teens were capable of. BUT, and this is not the WHOLE story probably, but this article says the teens were TRYING to break into the home, not that they had already broken in. In that case, if it were you, what would you have done? I think I would have had gun in hand and ready to go, but I would have called 911 first and try to take care of it without killing anyone. But I've never been in that situation so who knows what would or could have happened.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 2:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'd wait until at least one foot touched the inside of my home..but that is how it is here in TN you have the right to defend your home and family by any means once they set foot inside the home.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:15 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• This is only making news because they were teenagers. If they actually were inside the home, he had every right to fire. Who cares how old they were.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:33 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• those teens needed to face the consequences of their actions, they deserved to be shot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• The teens don't get any sympathy from me. They should have thought of the potential CONSEQUENCES before they decided to break the law.

I don't think I would shoot until the perp had crossed the threshold into my home. I think though that you have to look at the individual situation. Was the shooter a previous assault victim? Were the perps threatening those inside? Did the perps have a visible weapon?

Bottom line, if you don't want to get shot don't try and break into property that isn't yours.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:18 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Oh, my personal opinion is that you should be able to shoot a "threatening" individual anywhere on your property, not just in your home.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:19 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• If someone is trying to break in and doesn't stop once they are aware I'm inside, that is a personal threat. Waiting until they are inside to do anything seems ludicrous.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:31 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I agree the way it SHOULD of stayed is if someone wants to be bold enough to come onto anothers property with a weapon and or to steal off their property it should be fully legal to shoot their arses.Dont want to get a cap in your arse dont take things from others that do not belong to you!
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:20 PM on Sep. 6, 2009