Should there be a minimum age limit for solo hunters in all states?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31952727/ns/us_news-life/

An msnbc.com review of state hunting regulations found:

Seven states — Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Vermont and Washington — set no minimum age for solo hunting.

In Texas, kids can hunt alone when they are 9.

In Alaska, Louisiana and Tennessee, the minimum age for unsupervised hunting is 10, in Missouri it’s 11, and in nine other states it’s 12.

That's a total of 21 states in which kids can hunt alone at age 12 or younger. And in 19 of them, young hunters afield by themselves may pursue any game — big or small — that is in season.

***This isn't about 'gun control' it's about common sense & safety. Do you think kids this young should be allowed to hunt ALONE or with other minors; or should they be required to be with an adult hunter til a certian (more reasonable) age?***

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 2:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am all for gun safety and teaching children how and when to use firearms, but I do think 9 or 10 is a bit young to let them out alone. If truth be told, I'm not in favor of anyone hunting alone, the unexpected can happen to anyone.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:24 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Right. I may not personally be comfortable with guns; but if my uncle and his sons are and the father is teaching his child and is there to supervise then it's none of my business.

But I think the people in this article are being totally reasonable; we can not operate a vehicle unsupervised until 16, yet kids as young as 9 can take a GUN into the woods alone?? I'm feeling really uncomfortable with that idea!
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 2:40 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I love my guns, but my kids will NOT go hunting alone. Sheet, I don't even like it when DH goes hunting alone. Just like hiking or backpacking alone, there are tremendous risks, and one of them for hunting would be wounding an animal and having it maul you. This happened to a friend of mine, if his brother hadn't been there, he would have bled to death.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:28 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• mancosmomma - did you read the article the link is to?

A 14yr old boy was hunting with his 16yr old brother and mistook a woman jogging in the distance for a bear and tragically this 14yr old was an excellent mark; one shot to the head and she was gone before anyone realized his mistake.

Would an adult have prevented this accident; I don't know - but how terrible for both families to now have to live with that doubt...this poor boy and his victims family; I can't imagine being in either's position...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 10:17 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• That was meant just as conversation; not as a 'retort' - just in case anyone misunderstood; lol

WOW - I can't imagine being close enough to shoot and yet still get mauled...was it a bear? I'm glad most of my family doesn't hunt - I don't think I could handle the stress!!
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Beachmama, my friend shot a deer. Apparently he hit it on it's antler hard enough to knock in unconscience, but he thought it was dead because it fell so fast. When he went over to get the deer, it woke up and mauled him with it's antlers.

I didn't read the article, I was just answering your question.  The article wouldn't have changed my answer. 

Frankly, I don't know how anyone could mistake a woman for a bear, when hunting, you are supposed to have a clear view of what you are shooting before you take the shot.  If he had an adult with him, maybe he would have been more restrained, I don't know.  That is incredible sad, though.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:11 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• OMG how terrifying for your friend! Good to hear someone was able to save him.

Apparently it was a foggy day and the woman was bent over trying to get a jacket out of a backpack. Aside from minimum solo age requirments; do you think they should allow hunting in area where hiking trails are; with NO signage? No warnings for either the hikers or the hunters that they're sharing the same space?

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:20 AM on Sep. 5, 2009