Have I scarred my baby for life? If so how do I fix it?

Please please please no bashing. I never thought she would go this. She is only 22 months old....

Today I found her in the bathroom trying to insert a tampon in her diaper. PLease dont bash me for this. I am not even on my period right now so she must have a good memory.

She obviously doesnt know what a tampon is used for and she is just doing what she saw me do a couple weeks ago. She has no idea how to actually insert a diaper. I just found her with her diapers pulled down to her knee area and her putting the tampon between her legs. She opened the tampon herself. I have no idea how she knew how to do this. And yes, I do keep my tampons away from her reach. She was playing with my purse (as usual) and found the tampon. I do carry them around just in case.

What do I do now. I dont want her doing this when people are over. How do I fix this? Someone please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just tell her "no-no" and that those things are only used by big girls.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 2:15 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• OH MY GOODNESS, I COULDN'T HELP BUT LAUGH, KIDS WILL IMITATE WHAT THEY SEE BUT I DON'T THINK IT WILL BE A LIFE SCARRING THING. JUST DON'T KEEP THEM WITHIN REACH AND EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE.

Answer by older at 2:16 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• maybe say something like "yuckies... only mommies have to use these" don't let her see you use them again. I don't think she'll be scarred for life.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 2:16 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• You need to explain to her those are for mommy only and they can make BIG BIG owies. She could injure herself trying to insert a tampon. Those are No No, and she shouldn't touch them.

Perhaps, let her play with a different purse (one you don't always use) filled with some mock items so it will be just as fun as YOUR purse. I wouldn't really keep your purse within her reach. Up on a counter or even in a cupboard is a good idea.

She's not scarred for life, but she's just trying to be a big girl like you and do the things you do. She doesn't understand why you do them, which means she also doesn't understand the dangers if not done correctly.
    new_mom_10_21

Answer by new_mom_10_21 at 2:17 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Well first of all stop beating yourself up over this! This is simply a cute childhood story. She isn't damaged and you certainly haven't scarred her. Just take it away and say "That's mommy's honey, it's not a toy." If you freak out she's going to sense that and it will probably only make them more interesting for her. Our kids are curious about what we do and they always try to imitate us. It's not so big of a deal.

Actually, if it were my kid I'd be bragging about how smart she is!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:19 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't worry at all. She is just imitating what she's seen and that's totally normal. I'd just tell her those are for mommy only and not for playing with. She'd probably get bored of it pretty quick anyway, a tampon is not a fun toy.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 2:19 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• my little one will do this with qtips and try to put them in her ears and nose,just got to keep them put away
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:30 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• That's cute! Don't worry, if she has no access to them, she won't do again so just keep them out of reach.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:36 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I'm sorry but this is hilarious... it makes me feel better to know other kids do things like this... No you haven't scarred her. We have no lock on our bathroom door so my son has seen the same thing your dughter has and he's a curious little booger :) When he say what was happening he said 'Oh no Mommy you got BIIIGGG boo boo!' so when I went to put in a tampon I told him 'Yes & this is a Mommy bandaid to fix my boo boo' That satisfied him for an answer and he doesn't mess with them, however we were at the store and he too goes thru my purse pulled my 'emergency tampon' out and says very loudly 'Mommy bandaid! Your pp has a boo boo?' ha the looks the woman who overheard was laughing hysterically and said 'Thats the greatest thing I've heard al day' Just think when she's older it'll be a great story to tell :)
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 2:41 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• LMBO, it's okay! She's obviously a smart little girl and just needs to be told no. I'd probably refrain from using them in front of her anymore and keeping them out of reach - obviously she has a good memory! She isn't going to be scarred!
    rebabeach2

Answer by rebabeach2 at 2:50 PM on Sep. 4, 2009