Any ideas on getting my boy used to day care

I just put my 3 yr old in day care, I had no other choice I work and am a full time student and school just started, I used to have my grandma watch him but she is 75 and can't watch him all days aweek because my schedual changed, anyway I took him monday and they said that he fine started to cry alittle bit after I left then was fine, tues he was sad when I left and they said he was crying off and on all day asking for me and they pretended to call me and told him I was coming to get him. What should I do to make it more comfortable for him to go there I don't have any other person to watch him, I made sure everyone talks excited about it. What can I do so he doesn't sit there and cry all day.

NicholeAT

Asked by NicholeAT at 2:21 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It will take some time for him to adjust, but once he does he will love getting to go play with his friends - at 3 he will really get a lot out of the social interaction, and if they also do learning activities it will be wonderful. Ask the daycare what they suggest and what they may be able to do to help you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• If he understands the work concept, explain that you have to do things like go to work, and he has to do things like go to daycare. Reassure him that you will be there when daycare is over to pick him up, and always say I love you.
    He's probably crying because it's a new and unusual situation and the most important person in the world (you), aren't right there to reassure him throughout the day. You need to talk about it alot when he comes back home, and focus on the good points. Say things like, "you played with billy, today? wasn't that fun?". It helps to explain something you guys do together that you both find fun. Tell him you'd like to do it again really soon. Ask if he would like to play with Billy again soon.

He will get used to daycare. We can adapt to our surroundings, but it always takes time and reassurance.
    new_mom_10_21

Answer by new_mom_10_21 at 2:27 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• It really is to be expected. He is a small child that is used to mommy or grandma and now you're expecting him to accept being dumped off at daycare? He starts school in just two more years. Can you not put off work and school until then and be his primary care giver until then?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• That would be fine, if we wanted to live in a box, there is no other income, and for some weird reason the state help wont except me so how would we live. I would love to keep him home and do that but I can't !
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 4:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Keep sending him. Sometimes, it just takes a few weeks for him to get used to the situation. Ignore those that think everyone is fortunate enough to be able to stay home with their kids. It is a case of my life and my ways are perfect and the only way.

You can take a picture of the 2 of you and ask the teacher to place it somewhere that he can see it when he needs to. Keep reassuring him that you will be back after work and that preschool is his work.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:46 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My son started daycare when he was two and cried off and on for the first couple weeks and then one day I dropped him off and he walked right into his room and was fine. I have always heard its best to make the drop off short and sweet. Don't worry before you know it he will be excited to go. Its new and he isn't sure what to make of it yet.
    nurbabe82

Answer by nurbabe82 at 7:14 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• It will take a couple weeks for him to get used to it. In the mean time send a stuffed toy with him and before you leave give the toy hugs and kisses and explain that whenever he needs a hug from mommy to just hug the toy.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 7:15 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• 3:43 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 by: Anonymous Ignore that. It's irritating when people act like working moms just "dump" their kids places. Anyway, what I did with my kids the first time they had to go to daycare is put a picture of you in their cubby. That way when they missed me, they just took the picture out. One of my sons would kiss the picture. It takes time for kids that young to adjust, but he will. More ideas, is if you wear a perfume or body spray, spray that on his nap blanket. Assure him you will be back and make the goodbyes quick at drop off time. Pretty soon, he might not want to go home, lol.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 7:59 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Try sending something with him. For instance: Tell him that since Mommy has to work, you are sending 'bear' with him to keep him company. Everytime he misses you, he can just grab onto bear and KNOW that you will be back to get him as soon as work is over.

I can't guarantee that it will work, but hey, you could try it! (oh and don't sneak out...that just freaks kids out more...because you 'disappeared' so what if you don't 'reappear')
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 1:51 AM on Sep. 6, 2009