Need info on Prostaglandin Gel/Cytotec (Misoprostol)

Is the Prostaglandin Gel the same as Cytotec? I'm supposed to be induced on the 14th and the paper my doctor gave me said they would use this to induce me. I was induced with my last child for medical reasons but they used Cervidil. I've only heard bad things about Cytotec and if they are one in the same then I will be requesting the Cervidil again. If they are not the same, is the Prostaglandin Gel any safer for inducing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't think they are the same thing. The prostaglandin gel is milder, and it won't actually induce labour unless baby is ready. What it does is ripen the cervix, but it does not always begin labour. If baby is ready the prostaglandin gel may be the kickstart you need. From what I've read, it's actually milder than cervidil. With the PG, you are monitored for an hour and then you can go home (I did), you have to go back by 6 hours to be checked and maybe have another application of it depending on what's been happening with your cervix and any contrax. With cervidil you need constant monitoring. I was induced with PG at 41+w, it worked great, I was having contrax before the hour was up, went home and laboured at home most of the day. I did end up with a c/s but only because my son was breech (surprise!). But I know that if he'd been head down it would have been a normal birth and succesful induction.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• No~ different things.      PLEASE avoid Cytotec.
    (If you can avoid induction, that might be good, too. Do you need help and info?)

Cervidil Official FDA information, side effects and uses.

Cytotec patient advice including side effects

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Cervadil - can be REMOVED (it is a tampon like insert if I recall correctly)

Prostglandin gel - CAN NOT be removed once inserted

Cytotec/Misoprostol - is a little pill. It can not be removed, can not be stopped once started, can not be dosaged properly, and is not approved by the FDA for use on pregnant women and has very serioius side effects including uterine rupture.

If you absolutely must be induced for medical reasons and can't avoid it, decide between the gel or cervadil. Also do research on the Bishop Score (the higher the score the better the induction outcome), low dose pitocin and when it can be turned off, and coping mechanisms other than the epidural (but also look into epidural side effects and low dose so movement isn't impaired), and how to avoid an unnecessary episotomy.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:50 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Thank you for the information. I am familiar with cervidil. As I said, it was used last time to start the induction process. The cervidil was enough to do the job (went from 0cm to delivery in 8 hours) and pitocin was never needed.

I will be avoiding the cytotec but probably not the induction. I'm familiar with the risks associated with induction, however, this is my 4th child and I believe most of the risks are very low in my case. I do realize anything can happen though. Each of my previous 3 labors were 2 hours or less of active labor. I avoided the epidural with all 3 and plan to do the same this time around. I'm more scared of the effects of the epidural then the pain of child birth. My plan is also to avoid an episiotomy this time around. I had one with my first child but I was totally unprepared and didn't even know the doctor did it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Okay~ good luck with everything!

And you can tell your doctor and nurses (and put it in a birth plan) that you DO NOT CONSENT to an episiotomy. You can remind them and even tell them you know your rights. (That you may refuse any medical procedure you do not want. They MUST have your permission, especially after you've flat-out told them repeatedly.)
    IF a mom must, she can tear, an episiotomy is not necessary.

And there are ways to avoid tearing, too. As an experienced mom, you might not want any info. Let me know if you do though. I loved my intact perineum birth MUCH more than my tear birth. (well, duh! lol!)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:11 PM on Sep. 4, 2009