HPV and abnormal pap?

Has anyone else ever had hpv and an abnormal pap and everything turn out to be okay?? I need some words of wisdom and some encouraging news! Not been a good day!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Health

• HPV leads to cervical cancer..did the doctor explain that to you?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• HPV CAN  lead to cancer, it doesnt mean that it will, only certain types CAN lead to cancer anyway.  HPV is a virus, meaning your body can usually fight it off after a period of time (a few years).  I have had HPV since I was 18.  When I was 20 I had a normal pap.  At 22 I got pregnant and got it again (which according to my dr. is common with pregnancy if it wasnt completely gone before).  That was over 2 years ago.  I still have it but thats it, no cancer, no anything else, just a virus. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Yes, I have HPV and abnormal Paps. I've even had a colposcopy and cryosurgery to treat the affected areas on my cervix, then after 2 normal Paps I went on to have 3 more children, all delivered naturally. The HPV went dormant and has recently resurfaced with another abnormal Pap, but I'm not worried. If I have cervical dysplasia then I'll get the proper treatment. With proper treatment the risk is extremely, EXTREMELY small that it will develop into anything worse. Relax, trust your doctor, and religiously keep any follow up appointments.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2009