how can i get my baby to breastfed longer?

my dd was born at 37 weeks.they gave me some paper work about her not being able to work so well for her food.at first she did great but as soon as we got home she only nurses for 8 minutes on one breast.i am pumping and trying to keep up a supply but i feel like i am failing.help please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have u join a bf group they help me alot
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Eight minutes isn't bad at all, unless the dipes aren't good. 6-8 per day.

Drop by the breastfeeding moms group; we'll help you out but it requires some Q&A which this forum is not ideal for.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• some babies just nurse that fast. my son started out nursing 20 minutes per side per time! it was tough on me! but some babies nurse that fast. does she pee enough?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My daughter only nurses any were from 2min. to 20min. you could just have a quick flow. And to get ur milk supply up, after she nurses pump untill the last drop then pump for 5 min. after.
    luckyambear

Answer by luckyambear at 3:46 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I agree with gdiamante, of course. Diapers is the main thing. Count them and if they are fine then let her nurse 8 minutes or 8 hours. Every time she nurses your body makes more milk. Nurse on demand and you will have enough milk. Make sure to nurse on the opposite side the next time.

You can also nurse her on one breast, THEN change her diaper and burb her and offer the other breast. I have always changed my kids between breasts.

And as gdiamante has told me...WHY FIX WHAT ISN'T BROKEN?
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 2:13 PM on Sep. 5, 2009