Can somebody explain to me how exactly you feed a family of four or five with $200-$300 a month??

Everytime I read posts on here regarding how much people spend on groceries per month I see some say $50-$60 a week or$300 a month. How are you doing this? I would really like to know as we're a little broke right now. What are you eating?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't know exactly how much we spend a money, but we go to the farmers market for all of our vegetables, we buy chicken in bulk (we don't eat red meat often) and buy all of our canned items at this discount store nearby. We never pay full price for anything. You should look into Angelfood ministries.

www.angelfoodministries.com   Lots of women on here have said they use them and it's great.

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Cheap foods sale foods pasta
    most things if you look you can get for a dollar
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• only buy if its on sale and you have a coupon

buy meat in bulk and freeze leftovers

use fresh produce as sides
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:03 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I use coupons, go to sales only, make a list stick to it, and recycle the same meals. Pasta is cheap so I make it a LOT. I spend around 100 a month on groceries, including toilet paper and such not just food, and we always have ample food. If you are military shop at the commissary too. it ROCKS! LOL As for what to eat--
    Get a crock pot. No really. Pour in plain pasta, some cream soup(cheese, celery, etc.) and some milk, and water. Add meat and a frozen veggie(or canned that's even cheaper) Add whatever seasoings you like. Set on low. Stir every hour or so. Voila! Yums! LOL I do this dang near everyday. And I always make enough so that we have the leftovers for at least a few days. To make it stretch, I get noodle packets(the generic Lipton ones) and add regular rice or noodles to them. Adds more flavor, gives you and idea of what to put with it, and way cheap. Also, you can throw in frozen meat. No thawing necessary!
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• You can save a lot of money by making food from scratch rather than buying processed boxed meals.

Shop sales. I get all my meats for about $1.99 lb, and lately some have been as low as $1.79lb. We are 5 people (2 adults, 2 children & 1 toddler. I make one pound of meat at dinner). I don't buy hot dogs, it's more expensive than Ground Round.

We bake our own bread. Very cheap. Very easy. And it's healthier than store bought bread.

I've been getting some great milk sales. $1.99 gallon. Last month it was even $1.50 a gallon for a week.

We don't buy junk food. No boxed cookies/snacks. No chips. No soda. We drink milk or water.
    My husband and I each drink a cup or 2 of coffee per day.

My husband packs a lunch for work rather than eating out.

We don't buy cereal. It's expensive and not very good for you. We do oatmeal, eggs, fruit and yogurt, homemade muffins, biscuits, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My only guess is you'd have to eat "boxed" foods and canned foods all the time. Lots of pastas. Less meat and fruits and vegetables too. Only buy things on sale. Maybe people that have WIC? That would save a lot of money on milk, cheese, etc.

I don't know how people do it this cheaply either. We're a family of 3. I buy TONS of fruits, veggies, healthy meats and as little of the "boxed" stuff as possibly. I DON'T buy an organic though or it would be $150 or more a week. I spend $100 a week. But I wouldn't trade it. We're healthier this way. We don't have cable or cell phones, but that's ok. My son is healthy.
    Anonymous

• We have just increased our food budget to $150 a month. Use some judgment and coupons. It's not difficult. We buy meat in bulk and freeze it. We don't get much name brand stuff. Save up coupons and wait for a sale. I usually save between 50 and 75% on our groceries.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 3:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• *spend a month lol
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• go to aldis
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• 1. Buy generic EVERYTHING
    2. Cut back on snack foods
    3. Buy in bulk when you can
    4. Eat more meatless meals
    5. Brown-bag lunches
    6. Reduce eating out
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:19 PM on Sep. 4, 2009