Need help figuring out good ways for my children to spend their time after school!

3 of my daughters, ages 6,8, & 10 come home from school and after snack and homework, are almost immediately bored! We try to steer them away from watching TV but they don't seem to want to do anything else! I guess I could just use some ideas to help get them going! I am open to all suggestions. I see that alot of moms allow for free time - how much? How are your children spending their free time? Also, my 10year old almost REFUSES to go outside and play! HELP!

sfabian

Asked by sfabian at 3:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Go outside and play. Not optional. They need the fresh air and exercise.
    Read a book for pleasure.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Rules are great and totally necessary but dont be to strict. they have been at school all day, let them rest. Maybe not watch tv for hrs on end but some down time is needed.And your 10 yr old should not be given a option, if there is no tv or games to play or watch, she will go outside or find some other way to entertain herself....
    itainteasy25

Answer by itainteasy25 at 3:25 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• 3 girls all in close range in age??? Dance party time!
    My sister and I(along with our two cousins when they came to visit) would choreograph dance routines and lip sync to Tiffany tapes. We'd make posters and tickets for our "show" and give them to the rest of our family. Then we'd get costumes, put on make-up and perform our little hearts out. It was tons of fun.
    We'd play house and we'd make stores around the house. Barbies, my little ponies, dolls, beauty parlour...

Is there a reason your 10 yo refuses to go outside and play? What kinds of stuff does she like to do?
    Maybe she's feeling "too old" for the things the younger two like to do. I know my sister(the oldest) felt that she was so much more mature(less than two years older than me) but if we played "school" and she was the teacher then it was fine.

Ask them what they think would be fun to do and go from there. :)

Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:26 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Go for family bike rides, nature walks, paint, make home made play doh, have them help with dinner, make cookies, wash the dog/car, do they have some soccer/bouncy balls? hoola hoops, skipping rope....dont' give the 10 year old a choice, if its not stormy out, send her outside! Just unplug the TV. Simple. lol
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 4:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• OR, could you get them involved in some sort of activity/sport? soccer, skating, swimming lessons, art, music etc?
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 4:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• You can decorate cookies or cupcakes, carve sculptures out of ivory bars of soap, play charades, play bowling with pop cans or bottles of water and a ball, let them dress up and put on a fashion show. These are just a couple of ideas that might get the girls going. It'samazing, once they start doing things, the ideas start pooring in and before you know it, you have a busy afternoon.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 4:20 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• No help here my son is outside from the time he finishes his homework until dinner. After dinner he wants to go back out until bedtime. If he could have a his room outside he would. He plays hard until he drops. Maybe bake with them, do art projects, have legos and challenge them to come up with interesting structures we like to play board games when the weather is bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Go to the library and check out books

Answer by rkoloms at 7:01 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Head to the library and let them pick out their own books. Outside time would be a must, they can read outside as well.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:28 PM on Sep. 5, 2009