What do u think about toddler swim classes?

ok i was online lookin at babies swimming by babies i mean 6 months old and older learning to turn on their back if they fall in a pool. i want to sign my 20 month old up for it but there is not any goin on in my area as of right now, but i was wondering if its a good idea or if i should wait?

cage0101

Asked by cage0101 at 3:13 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my children were little there was a class offered for 6 months to 3 years. My son was one of the older children in the class at age 3. The moms got in the pool and taught their baby what the instructor said to do. I took him because I wanted him to be able to float and move around in the water if he would fall in. I still feel that it is a good idea.

Answer by Bmat at 3:26 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I think maybe 20 months is a little too young for that simply because they're relexes aren't as devolped as say a 36 month old. I think when my son is three I will enroll him in swim classes. I can't swim and I'm terrified of water and I don't want my fears to be passed on to him.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I think it is a good idea to introduce a child to water as early as possible. They need to be familiar with it so they know what to do if something happens, as opposed to never having been in water outside of the bathtub and falling into a pool and having no idea what is going on.

Personally I have a lot of rivers in my area, and have already been working with my 15 month old just getting her used to being in water deeper than 6 inches, and floating her around (with my hands under her of course) on her back.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:16 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• y not..... my daughter loves to swim and has been doing so since she was 1 with out holding on to us.. yes she has swimmies on but she jumps in and everything by herself.. if i had the money i would do it too...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Great Idea! In our area YMCA is offering swimming programs for toddlers and mommies but right now we can't afford them.
    Anonymous

• I would do it as early as possible it's important for kids to learn to swim and it's a lot easier if they're comfortable with the water.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 4:01 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Check at your local YMCA. My kids all go when they can and they love it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:34 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I just started swim classes with my 8 month old and at first I thought it would just be a really cute bonding experience, but after the first class I realized that if I keep up with it DD is really going to learn how to swim. I highly recommend signing your LO up! We are taking the classes at a local university. I have a very clingy baby and Im hoping that being in the water will help her have fun with something besides just me, so far I think its going to work!
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I would love to do that! I have actually signed my daughter up for swimming lessons and she is 21 mos old. However, the class is either full or not enough people wa nt their toddler in the pool! I think it would be very beneficial to my daughter because everytime we go into the pool she tries to jump out of my arms, "swims" away from me and screams when I put my hand on her to keep her afloat! We go to pool playgroups and she is so brave in the water! I do not think it would be too young at all and I myself am afraid of the water. I want her to be well adjusted to it and know how to swim and such!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• All 4 of my kids start swim lessons next week at the Y. They are 10, 7, 4, and 14 months. If you can't afford classes at the Y, they have financial aid to help you. They will never refuse a child because the parents can't pay. Go talk with them. :)
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 12:34 AM on Sep. 5, 2009