What is the big deal?

I mean, seriously. Why is there so much debate going on about Obama giving a public speech to our kids? Is he supposed to send a permission slip to every house in America that have children living there? Yeah right! Do you know how expensive that would be, how inconvenient? Besides, I'm sure that whatever he plans to tell our kids won't be detrimental to them. It's not like he's going to tell them they should quit school and start selling crack in the streets, or start smoking pot, or anything along those lines. And I hear there are some people who won't be sending their kids to school on Sept 8th because of this speech? That's just stupid. You may not like Obama but he is our President, therefore I'm sure he isn't going to do or say anything to our kids that we wouldn't want him telling them. I don't think anyone would have cared if Kennedy or Clinton wanted to do a public address to our children...so lay off Obama already.

chavela_carlita

Asked by chavela_carlita at 3:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "...Is he supposed to send a permission slip to every house in America that have children living there? Yeah right! Do you know how expensive that would be, how inconvenient? Besides, I'm sure that whatever he plans to tell our kids won't be detrimental to them...."

True. So let's circumvent all that expense and inconvenience, and let kids watch the President at home with their parents.

If he doesn't "sell" anything to the kids, as you say, then there should be no problem letting their parents watch it with them ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:28 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• ditto, i too do not get the issue here

everyone is entitled to your own opinion, but do you not have to read or listen to speech first before making that opinion, if you read speech day before and do not like it, then keep your kids home from school if this is your way of raising your children
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 3:26 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Why doesn't he just cut a public service announcement commercial and run it on TV? It would probably be far cheaper than what he's trying to do....schools won't be saddled with trying to rearrange lesson plans to accommodate him (a major reason schools in my area aren't participating), and people won't be in a snit due to feeling like their kids HAVE to watch the 'message'.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• The ONLY reason there is a big deal being made of the speech is because it is President Obama. "Oh, no he is brainwashing." People really need to get their heads out of their a$$es.
    Kim370

Answer by Kim370 at 3:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Obama followers have no brains to wash. That is the problem.

If his speech was no big deal than why did they change It???

We are fine with the Obama telling the kids to stay in school and work hard. It is the other Bullshit that he is a great Pres. and doing a great job. Write him to tell them that.
    Now is write and tell him what he can do to make things better.

KIm it is you head in your a$$ because you can't not see the change he wants you will not like.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 4:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I would tell you why it is a big deal, but none of you would get it. Do you really want to know, or are you looking for another reason to *itch. I would be more than willing to try to explain, but why try to explain something to a brick wall, that won't even try to consider what your trying to say. Instead it is just insult after insult. So really what is the point?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I don't get it either. I do not recall having to bring a permission slip back to school when Regan or Bush gave their speeches to us. We all formed into the library class by class, heard what he had to say, and left. In our first grade minds, it did not register. To t his day I do not remember what he was talking about and I don't think my daughter will. But I will not pull her out for a 5 minute speech. She can hear it and go from there.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:02 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Reagan gave a commencement speech, Bush gave a speech against drug use. Not the same thing and neither speech was given to all of the students across the nation.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 6:19 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• umm I hate to point this out, but I know I never had to bring home a permission slip for the "inspirational speakers" my schools hosted, and some of them were very controversial in their attitudes and messages. Why would this be a big deal in the same context? I have a three year old son, I could care less if a man, bound by a whole nation watching, wants to try to talk to him. Its certain to be less confusing that trying to understand in the 6th grade why a boy who slept around was as much of a ho (and yes, the speaker used that term) as a girl who does so.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:57 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Yeah, there is a post on here right now about his speech...read it and then see what you think...and for those of you who are keeping your kids out of school for this, man, how small and close minded can you be? I have a new name for you people who will not be sending your kids to school on Sept 8th, OBAMA HATERS. I don't support or not support him, but there sure as hell isn't anything wrong with what he is going to tell our kids. Now that I have read the speech, I am even more convinced that this is a good idea. What better way for the kids to feel good about school, than hearing it from the President in the way he says it in the speech?
    And all speeches are rewritten !!! Nobody gives the first version of ANY speech. So if they rewrote it, who cares, it's still damned good. LAY OFF already!
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 8:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2009