Potty training question for 2 year old boy

We started potty training today, he wore the underwear for a little while, but would just pee in them. My problem is he will not sit on the potty...he will sit if the lid is closed, should I try a little potty, my son is very tall for his age, so I thought we could just skip it. Does anyone have advice how to get your child unafraid of the big potty (we are already doing stickers and candy). Thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If he is afraid of the potty, he may not be ready to be trained. Wait a few months and try again. It won't be good for either one of you to force him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:43 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• it could be he isn't ready yet but if you think that he is then get one of those seats that fits on the regular seats for tiny hinys. They sell them at walmart and probably any other store like target. Good Luck he'll get there.
    nurbabe82

Answer by nurbabe82 at 7:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I'd get a character potty seat. Let him pick it out. If he's still afraid wait a few weeks and try again.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 7:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• when my son was 15 months I got him the elmo potty but he really wasn't ready until around 20 months. I used to let him run around without any pant on and when he did go into the potty I would reward him with a sticker or piece of candy.
    Laceymay

Answer by Laceymay at 7:50 PM on Sep. 6, 2009