Would it be ok to let her help this much?

My DD will be 2 next month and ever since I got pregnant with number 2 her dad and I have been trying to get her ready for the baby. We showed her how to feed the baby, hold the baby, rock the baby, burp it, and even change its diaper (all on a doll of course). Well today I went to see what she was doing cause her back was turned to me, and when I got there she was wiping her babies butt. I watched a while longer and seen her change her dolls diaper RIGHT!! She was so proud of herself and I was proud of her too. Now my question is, would that mean it's ok to let her help change her brothers diaper (if its not a messy one) when he gets here?

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 4:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• if she wants to i dont see why not
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 4:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I would let my child bring the diaper and wipes, but I would do the wiping and changing, just personally. Real babies are a little more squirmy than baby dolls, but, of course, you can do what you'd like as long as you're right there helping.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:13 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• UNDER SUPERVISION, WHY NOT?

Answer by older at 4:14 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• No. Help yes. but babies are squirmy, and can pee all over if you aren't quick. And she may not be very gentle when wiping. But that's just me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• its a great way to get the older sibling involved with a new baby.

but....don't take advantage of that interest or she may start resenting you 'putting her to work' - let her do it all on her own terms.

makes for a relatively easy addition of another baby.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:32 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Sure, just watch her to be sure that both baby and big sister are OK.
    Man, what a smart little girl! We have one on the way the end of March...Perhaps I'll start doing this with DD in a few months (she's 2 1/2).
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 5:33 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with letting her help, by doing this there is less of a chance of jealousy.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:31 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• awww, that's so adorable!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 6:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Most hospitals offer sibling classes,

Answer by rkoloms at 7:00 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Just make sure that she knows that she must never "help" unless you are there watching her.
    Once, when I was taking a shower, my 41/2 y.o. daughter put a stool next to the crib, climbed up, lifted up her newborn baby brother, and somehow climbed down the stool and onto the bed with him.
    ddbz

Answer by ddbz at 9:07 PM on Sep. 4, 2009