hello everyone does any one know about selective mutetism????

lolly721

Asked by lolly721 at 4:18 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What do you want to know about it?
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 4:21 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I only know that a boy in my son's class had it- when they were in 1st grade (my son's entering 3rd this year). He could speak, but never did in school. In 1st grade they had to read books aloud to the class. This boy's mom would video tape him reading aloud at home and he stood and showed the pictures and turned the pages (in front of the class) as the video of him reading was playing. Near the very end of school that year one of the other kids' moms brought a puppy in and the boy just started talking about his own dog and the kids in class were stunned. He has spoken in school ever since. He was not shy, either, when he could not seem to speak in school. He jumped in and played with the other kids. Anyway, I don't know causes or what therapies are used- just thought I'd share that story.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 4:26 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• We are having our 4 year old daughter tested for selective mutism in October. We were referred by our pediatrician at her 4 year checkup up to the behavioral medicine department at our clinic. They will be evaluating her for social anxiety which leads to the selective mutism. She is completely normal at home, and by that I mean very vocal and smart, screaming and shouting at times as preschoolers tend to do in fun and excitement. At school, she will not say a word to teachers or students. She'll interact, but still will not speak. We brought up our concerns to her pediatrician and he had no experience with SM, but gave us a referral.
    kk05

Answer by kk05 at 3:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My son is the same way at home he talks scream, plays with his sister but in other settings he does not talk or say anything. i did notice that the has begining to wave hi to people now. when he is around many children or people he will start eating his nails.
    lolly721

Answer by lolly721 at 7:43 PM on Sep. 12, 2009