Still no period...

My son is 5 months old and I am breastfeeding him, not exclusively. I bled like normal right after he was born, but i still have not had a regular period since right before I got pregnant over a year ago. Not showing any signs of pregnancy...why wouldn't I be having a period?? I was told if Im not having a period Im probably not ovulating, so is it possible for me to get pregnant?

Ness87

Asked by Ness87 at 4:28 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-26 Credits)
  • By breastfeeding you can delay your period up to about 9 months!! How great is that?? But beware!! you are definitely still ovulating!!! My daughter is 3 months today and still no period...
    Steph786

Answer by Steph786 at 4:30 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• oh wow i had no idea! lol i heard if you breastfeed exclusively sometimes you wont get it until you stop...but i go to school so sometimes he gets a bottle. im not having any symptoms of pregnancy so i dunno. lol thanks for your help : )
    Ness87

Answer by Ness87 at 4:33 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• i didn't get my period until 8 months but he was exclusively breastfed for 6.5 months, then supplemented with formula and also started solids. you can still get pregnant before you start your period though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I did not get my period until about 13mo. after i gave birth because i exclusively breastfed until my son was 15mo. old. I got it back when he started weaning himself from BF.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• #1 I bf til 9 months and didn't see a period til about 12months

#2 I bf til 5months and then didn't see af til about 9 months.

#3 bf til 12 months and had af around the same time.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:30 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My period was delayed for 17 months while breastfeeding, it just recently came back. You should use some sort of birth control if you aren't wanting more kiddos, as it is hard to know when you have ovulated. But the absence does mean that you aren't ovulating. It just is difficult to know when it starts back up again because you will ovulate before that first period comes back, and then it will gradually even out. I didn't use birth control until my period came back and I didn't get pregnant.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 6:02 PM on Sep. 4, 2009