Drunk driving punishment..too strict or too lenient?

I know in some states drunk driving laws and punishments are stricter than others. For example, when I lived in AZ, the law was that if your blood alcohol content was above a certain number, you almost automatically got a week or two of jail time. I personally think this is fair. However,I had friends who actually got lawyers to avoid jail time, and succeeded. Do you think jail time should be mandatory, regardless of legal help? Is that too much of a punishment? Are the laws too strict, or too lenient?As someone who has lost 3 friends to 3 separate drunk drivers, I'm for harsher punishment than some states give out. If my child got a DUI, I would make them serve the jail time to learn their lesson and that it's selfish to risk others' lives for their pleasure and irresponsibility. What is your opinion?

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 4:32 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The assbucket that killed my father had 7 DUI's at the time. Prior to his conviction for killing my dad he had never served time, just paid fines had his DL suspended etc... I personaly thinks that their license should be revoked and they should spend the rest of their lives in prison because once a drunk driver always a drunk driver. Yes I have a harsh view on this. Maybe because this piece of shit took my dad from me, my children will never know their grandfather or maybe because I was the one who ended up identifying my father at the morgue and taking his personal belongings out of his car.
    My family isn't the only one affected by this person's action's he had four small children at the time. And his crackhead wife begged me to "understand" that he wasnt a bad person. WTF?
    The worst part of this that piece of shit was let out of prison after serving three years for killing my dad.
    kendra1417

Answer by kendra1417 at 6:14 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• jail if nobody is hurt.
    40 years per person killed
    10 years per person injured
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:42 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Too unevenly enforced.

A friend of mine admits he was quite stupid back when he was drinking (he's now 6 years sober) and got 2 DUIs back to back. The judge threw the book at him; jail time, heavy fine, probation, the works. The guy in the case before him was there for his NINTH DUI - time served and a fine.

Same court. Same offence. Same judge. Same day.

Now, to my mind, they were both in the wrong. Both guilty. Both required a punishment. But wouldn't the one who had repeated the offense NINE TIMES deserve a harder punishment than the one with two offenses?

Likewise, my former father in law had so many DUIs that his driver's license was pretty much suspended the whole time I knew him (8 years). He's drive drunk on a suspended license, even! NO insurance, no seat belt, no license, no registration, drunk as a skunk...

no jail time.

EVER.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:46 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• WAYYYY too lenient!

1st offense should be mandatory 30 days in jail and your liscense suspended for a minimum of 1 year and 100 hours of community service to be completed within 6 months, and a fine equal to the cost of 30 days in jail.

2 offense, liscense suspended permanently, and a minimum of 1 year in jail, with fines equal to the ammount of money that you costed tax payers for your one year in jail and court fees.

twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 4:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• well i know i live in CA and i'm scared poopless of a DUI so i would never ever get behind the wheel drunk, i always make sure i hide my keys somewhere before i start drinking if im at a party (which i dont go to anymore, i cant even remember the last one i went to)

at bars there is always a DD, but i mostly drink at home and just pass out after :p
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 4:49 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• If they caused an accident where there were injuries sustained, or they killed someone, they should be criminally convicted and then civilly sued

twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 4:51 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Well, I'm glad to see that so far you all agree!
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 5:02 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I would like to see something tattooed on thier forheads and then make it illegal to serve or sell alchohol to them.

But since that isn't likely to happen, I would have to go with what NotPanicking said.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 5:34 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• First offense should be a year in jail and huge fine. Make part of that suspended with home confinement and they can work. They lose their license for that year. They should have a license plate cover that states they drove drunk when they do get their license back.

Second offense they should permanently lose their license and spend a minimum of 3 years in jail. They can be on home confinement after 6 months for for the next 2 1/2 years have to be home and can only leave for work. If they get caught driving they have time added and the car they are in is confiscated anyone douchey enough to let them drive their car deserves to lose it.

If they kill someone no matter how many offenses they have had when drunk they get life with no parole in prison.

My sister was killed by a drunk driver. He had 7 DUI's and nothing happened to him. He only served 30 days for murdering my sister. Way too lenient.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I also think with their license a system should be in place when they swipe it to verify age it will show they cannot buy alcohol. Anyone that buys it for them can be charged with a crime. If they get caught drinking and walking after a DUI they will be arrested.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Sep. 4, 2009