Is is okay to do sit-ups while pregnant? Can you do it all throughout the entire pregnancy?

sugarmama01

Asked by sugarmama01 at 1:03 PM on Aug. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Yes you can still excersise while you're pregnant. Sit-ups is ok but you have to be careful. You can't rush it or push yourself too much because you might hurt yourself. If you ask any Doc' they'll tell you, excersise is really good and helpful during pregnancies b/c some excersises can help you strengthen your pelvic area so birthing could be a little easier for that area. Yoga is also good while pregnant so don't just think sit-ups cuz you're not really limited. You just can't rush yourself, Pace yourself and if you can't do it don't beat yourself up for it b/c your body is already going through a lot.
    MyBlessin

Answer by MyBlessin at 1:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2008

• I was told by my OB that it wasn't a good idea. You can however do standing side crunches.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 1:05 PM on Aug. 28, 2008

• Why in the heck would ya wanna do sit ups when your preggers anyway, lol

You can its alright but i wouldnt do it THRUOUT the pregnancy but if you can girl...
    you go right ahead,
    and around 38 weeks lol hubby had to help me up and i wasnt even doing situps
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 1:07 PM on Aug. 28, 2008

• You can until your abs separate. Then it's bad for you and possible even the baby. If you tighten your abs and then push in them where they come together in the middle and feel a bit of a gap, then they are separated. Here's some stuff that's safe for both of you
    http://www.abs-exercise-advice.com/pregnancy-abdominal-exercise.html
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 1:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2008

• FTR- I am not saying that my OB said it was bad to exercise, he just said it was bad to do situps.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 1:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2008

• I still do t hem occasionally but I'm trying not to push it. If I feel uncomfortable I just stop. It's good to have the abdomen strong for labor, but if you feel uncomfortable or it hurts, stop immediately.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2008

• I am 35 week's pregnant and haven't done ONE situp this entire pregnancy. lol. I think this is the time of my life that I don't have to worry about going crazy with working out so I am taking this time to be lazy haha. Anyways, my OB has said no sit ups. She is approving of lots of walking but not to do situps. They don't like for you to have to lay flat on your back anyways.
    Kristinmomof2

Answer by Kristinmomof2 at 2:20 PM on Aug. 28, 2008

• I would love to see you try doing sit ups all the way through.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:28 PM on Aug. 28, 2008

• Why would you want too do situps?? Oh u must be very early in your pregnancy lol Bc in a couple of months it will be hard to just sit up let alone do situps lol...good luck with all that I hope ur 6 pack lasts all 9 months!
    GabeANnenasmOm

Answer by GabeANnenasmOm at 4:22 PM on Aug. 28, 2008

• no way you would be able to do sit ups later in pregnancy. i can barely get out of bed and im 7 months. too much stress on the abs will hurt.
    saraelf

Answer by saraelf at 5:16 PM on Aug. 28, 2008