Hooray! I just have to share this w/ everyone!!!

So I've had this dog for about 6 years. We all love her. I think she is about 10 years old. Well she had been abused by whoever had her previously. We can tell b/c she was always very timid andscared of evrything. but over the years she has changed dramatically. We live in CA and in the summer there are alot of 100 degree days. So I get the hose and wet her down to help her cool off. There is plenty of shade in our yard, but when it 100 degrees, you need more than shade! Everytime I want to hose her down, he was would be sooooo scared. I would have to grab her by the collar and bring the hose to her. She would crouch down like she was ready to be beaten. I would talk to her calmy and hose her down. When I put the hose away she was would be happy again. Well yesterday, I got the hose and called her over to me and she CAME!! No fear and no crouching!!!!! I was so happy she was finally able to let go of her fear :)

4monkees

Asked by 4monkees at 4:59 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Pets

• awe
    Skurvy

Answer by Skurvy at 5:00 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Thats great!

Good Job you must be taking good care of her.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 5:01 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Awww... hooray!!
    And congrats for having the patience and love to care for an abused animal.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 5:01 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• oh thats great, she trusts you. I hate that animals get abused by stupid people

I used to work at a vet office as a vet tech and there was this Pit Bull who came in and she had some scars from her previous owner, she was adopted by another owner, any way she would always be afraid if multiple people whould walk up to her....she didnt know that i was going to hold her so she can get her shot and she would start panicking and get in protection mode so fast...it made her new owner cry the first time that happened.

But Im happpy for you and your dog, thats such a huge milestone
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 5:05 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• THAT is fanTASTIC!!!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• yey for you! Way to go.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 10:09 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Just because she crouched down doesn't mean she has been abused. Some dogs are just naturally submissive. My own dog has never been abused a day in her life. But she hates a water hose and would do the exact same thing.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:14 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I agree with salemwitchchild-we've had all 3 of our dogs since they were born and they are terrified of the hose. We have to put them on a leash to give them a bath outside. The youngest one shakes like crazy when she sees it, and they've never even been spanked! Our second youngest one also crouches down, rolls over, and sort of freezes whenever we get near him and he's just been like that since he started walking. It doesn't mean that they were abuse...it could mean they are nervous or they don't understand what is going on. But with what you do for her, you're getting her used to it, and that's good. I wish my dogs would stop being like that...it's frustrating--we have to chase them down to bathe them. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Sep. 9, 2009