Are you having your mom stay with you after you bring the baby home to help out?

My mom stayed with my sister and her husband for a few weeks after she had her baby and my sister said she loved it. I'm a little more independent then her and am thinking I don't really want her there. I'm sure it is nice to be able to get sleep and help cleaning the house, but I feel like I want alone time with my new baby and my husband. What are your experiences and thoughts?

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No, I don't think so. Not that my mom wouldn't be good help, I just don't want to deal with my MIL wining becasue I didn't ask her. Plus my mom is 3 hrs away ans she has a hard time getting time off.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 5:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I did, I thought my mom would be doing the cleaning/cooking so I could bond/care for my baby. She took over and acted like it was her child...she made it harder being there than if she had just stayed at her house. This time it will be just me DH, our DD and our DS
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 5:13 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• PS we are demanding no visitors for the first week after the baby is born, then when people do come to visit they MUST clean or cook before leaving!

I was WAY to nice, and tried to still play hostess after our first. I'll never do that again!
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 5:13 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• well i live with my DF and his mom but they both work all day so i would be here by myself during the day, THANK GOD! lol but then again i may need help, idk. but honestly i feel like i would want to do it all on my own bc i really dont like ppl tellin me what to do, and i know the MIL will! so i would try staying home alone and then if you get too tired and need help, u could have your mom come over! good luck!
    EheartsZ07

Answer by EheartsZ07 at 5:14 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I WOULD GO CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So no.
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 5:14 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• i think my mom will be over often to help for one my hubby cant afford to take off to much work, but i think my mom will only be helping with cooking and cleaning and once in a while wating my daughter, b/c this is my first. and i think i will need her help. but we will see.
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 5:15 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Nope, there is no way in HELL my mother will be staying here or even coming up and helping for a day or so. Not that I don't love my mother, I do but there are a lot of issues with how she takes care of herself and her "house". Then on top of all that my mom has distonia, a muscle disease so she wouldn't be much help. She smells of smoke all the time, doesn't eat right, lets my OLDER sister run her life and she isn't even doing anything to help out the house hold. Those are the only 2 people in my family that I REFUSE to let watch my kid if I'm going to be gone for more than 5 mins.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 5:16 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My mom wants to but Im not really for it, it seems nice, but like you im totally independent...plus thats the crucial time for me and my fiance to bond with the baby

I dont know....maybe Ill have her over and she can help a little but im still not sure about what I want

oh and I too am demanding no visitiors but for the 1st 6 weeks...I need to get my breast feeding down, bond, he needs to bond, and close family, like my mom, sister and aunt can come by if i say its okay but other than that they can wait
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 5:17 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• People will be coming in and out. My parents will probably stop over when they can and my inlaws will come by for a day, but no overnight stays. It was the same way with my first, it is nice to have my parents stop by a few days here and there because my mom will do a load of laundry and my dad will cook a meal but they are not invasive, plus they live close so if I don't feel like having company I can just tell them not to come over.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 5:34 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I would have loved it if my mom came over to help after my DD was born. It was my first and I had no idea what I was doing. My darling SO wasn't interested in doing the housework, or the fact that the dr said i had to take it easy for like 2 weeks. I couldn't let the house get disgusting..so guess who did it, plus breastfed, changed, bathed the baby everyday. lol. hopefully you have a wonderfully helpful SO.. otherwise I would allow your mom to come help! The less stress the better!
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 10:42 PM on Sep. 4, 2009