too old for a booster?

my dd is 48lbs and 47" should she be in a booster seat? she is 9 and in the 4th grade so I would think she is too old, but she is still so small!

Bjoycassell

Asked by Bjoycassell at 5:08 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Kids' Health

• You need to be at least 4'9" to get out of a booster seat, no matter what lower height your state law gives. Children shorter than that just will not be safe riding in the car with a shoulder belt otherwise. It has to do with how the shoulder belt fits across the child's chest. The booster seat helps elevate a smaller child to the point that the shoulder belt sits in the correct location for not causing injury to the child and holds the child in the seat in the event of an accident.

A child's age or embarrassment factor should never be an issue when deciding on car seat safety.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Go to... http://www.aap.org/family/Carseatguide.htm

Car Safety Seats: A Guide for Families 2009

Tigger_Beth

Answer by Tigger_Beth at 5:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• If she fits into the height/weight requirement, than she'll have to be in one.
    You can always ask your local police department just in case as well! :]
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 5:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Yes she should be in a booster! My 7yr old is taller but lighter than that and she's still in a high back booster and I will keep her in one as long as possible. Here the requirement is that they be 4 ft 9 in or 9 yrs to ride without a booster, but I go with the height rather than age as my guideline.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 5:25 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Tigger_Beth

Answer by Tigger_Beth at 5:44 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• if she is under 4'9" she needs a booster
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 8:20 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My oldest is 9 and 45lbs and 48" and she rides in a booster.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:50 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• any child under 4'9" and 80lbs should be in a booster. I rely more on the weight tho cuz even at the right height the force of a crash can send a lightweight child flying. I'd rather she be embarrassed than die in a car crash.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 9:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Sounds like you have a dainty daughter. My 6 year old weighs about the same, so yes, I would keep your daughter in a booster.

milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:16 AM on Sep. 5, 2009