is hand flapping normal?

hello, my baby boy i just 1 year old (adj age 11 months old), he started walking at 11 1/2 months old, but now i noticed that sometimes when he walks he does arm flapping..is that normal?..he makes eye contact, answers his name, when i give him his brush he starts brushing his hair, starts waving bye-bye and looks like he wants to starting pointing at least he has his index finger straight....do you think that i have to be worried about it? i read a lot about autism and hand flapping so i do not what to think....thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• LOL, yes. I only laugh because it scared the poo out of me when my DD started that at a year old. The biggies are, does he make eye contact and does he smile at appropriate times. My DS didn't do the flapping thing, but my DD sure did and just stopped after a few months.

If he makes eye contact and smiles when smiled at or smiles and laughs when something is funny, then there is nothing to be concerned about at all.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:19 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Man...why is it every little thing that doesn't seem "normal" for an adult is suddenly a sign of autism?

Guess what? Not all kids with autism even flap their hands! Not only that, there is a difference between "hand flapping" and "arm flapping" that you have mentioned.

I have two with autism. Neither of them are "flappers".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• THANK YOU anon 6:21pm!! I'm getting tired of the "autism paranoia" too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I agree with ThrivingMom, some kids like to flap their hands particularly when they're excited. Most like nothing to worry about particularly given the other info you included.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:13 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Its all about education, dont get so pissy on this poor Mom. She's scared. I'm sure you were scared sh*tless when you first found out that yours were in fact autistic. It's all about EDUCATION!! communication with the doctor is key, question asker, but I do agree that if thte speech is ok, the emotional are ok, it doesn't sound like one of the warning signs. If you go onto www.autismspeaks.com they have red flag warning signs for infants and up.
    SillyMomma

Answer by SillyMomma at 9:14 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• hand flapping is a normal stage. It's how your baby shows excitement and delight :) Nothing to worry about unless he/she isn't hitting milestones or isn't making eye contact. I don't think you have to worry.

And to the anons.. be nice, some of us worry about these things.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 9:54 PM on Sep. 4, 2009