Cat has been drinking out of the toilet!!!

I am not a happy camper! Our Momma kittie will not stop drinking out of the toilet. The worst thing about it is the darn rust tablet that is in the tank!! I am scared that she may pass the posin on to her kittens(4 weeks old) Has this ever been a problem for anybody else? At this point I am afraid that she has done some real harm to her internal organs. My dh said that he saw blood in her stool. We tried keeping the lid down (we are taking the tablet out!).

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 5:28 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Pets

• all my cats drink out of the toilet but we dont have a rust tablet! i would just keep the lid down until you get the tablet out!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:29 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My dog used to do this... we just kept the seat down and closed the door behind/after us.
    Then it really didn't become a problem when we put the toilet baby proof lock on it..

I would take her to the vet and get her checked out. If the vet shows concerns, kitties are next, i think. Good luck!
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 5:29 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• oh my cat used to do that, we just closed the lid
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 5:30 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My cat did that. We've had him 11 years and got in the habit over 10 years ago of keeping all toilet seats down 100% of the time!

I would call the vet and ask about whether the cat and kittens will be ok and mention the blood in the stool.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Weird, my cat never drank out of the toilet,but she would jump up in the sink or toilet if her water bowl was not full. She would jump up on the table to and try to drink out of our glass of water.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I agree keep the lid down..and maybe shut the door behing you
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 3:20 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• she may like the fact that the water gets "refreshed" with every flush. try getting one of those waterers with a reservoir that refills the bowl when it gets low enough, or just keep giving her fresh water a couple times a day. cats can get finicky about stuff like that. but definitely keep the toilet lid down and take her into the vet to check out her bloody stools!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 9:16 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• i would take her and the kittens to the vet. Simple solution is either put the lid down or close the door. We had a problem with my cat Diego going in the bathroom and sleeping in the shower and getting locked in there.

OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:25 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• lol! MY cats do the same thing. The funny thing is we even keep a water bowl in the bathroom! I would just try keeping the door closed if it bothers you or you would rather not remove the rust tablet.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:44 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• The kittens are sick,One has died and another has a developed a huge blister on her leg the other three seem okay. I am now feeding them kitten formula-thought it was the safest bet. I am taking them to the vet tomorrow.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 2:56 PM on Sep. 7, 2009