Do you agree, this is reality of war and should be shown?

or WAY crossing the line of decency?
Defense Secretary Robert Gates is objecting “in the strongest terms” to an Associated Press decision to transmit a photograph showing a mortally wounded 21-year-old Marine in his final moments of life, calling the decision “appalling” and a breach of “common decency.”

The AP reported that the Marine’s father had asked – in an interview and in a follow-up phone call — that the image, taken by an embedded photographer, not be published.

The AP reported in a story that it decided to make the image public anyway because it “conveys the grimness of war and the sacrifice of young men and women fighting it.”

The photo shows Lance Cpl. Joshua M. Bernard of New Portland, Maine, who was struck by a rocket-propelled grenade in a Taliban ambush Aug. 14 in Helmand province of southern Afghanistan,

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20090904/pl_politico/26759

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 5:39 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If the family has asked it not be used; it should NOT be used at this time. Now in 5; 10; 15 years when someone is looking back for a perspective piece perhaps then...

Now do I think photos like this are in some sad/grim way necessary to allow us to see the reality of war? Yes I do.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I saw the picture that AP distributed.
    I don't have any problems with showing pictures like these, however, against the parents/spouses wishes is not approved by me.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 5:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• If we (AMERICANS) did see this type of photo on a regular basis, do you think the WAR would be OVER by now?

Or would we still seem so apathetic?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 5:57 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• You anti war types don't care about the families of the soldiers who live the war everyday. Showing images won't stop the war we know people die they sign up and take that risk. I lost my husband in Iraq. He joined and went willingly. If his body had been shown on the front page of a newspaper like it was nothing I would have lost it. It was bad enough the anti war crowd was there calling him a baby killer(Phelps crew was not there it was liberals that hate the war and the soldiers) They spit on his hearse and tried to disrupt his service.

My husband did not die in vain like you anti war and anti troop people say. To him it meant something to serve his country. The first time he came home he was slapped by someone in Cindy Shehans group. The second time when he came home in a casket he was spit on. For people who hate violence they produce nothing but. So sick and perverse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Tell me ... with the super-abundance of triumphant, poignant, heroic, laughing, sharing and cheering photos which are available from both Iraq and Afghanistan, why aren't photos of THAT "reality of war" getting ANY play - EVER - in the liberal media.

If you want to see THIS "reality of war", you have to catch the episodes of Oliver North when he is travelling with troops in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Hmmm .... maybe this is an explanation for why so many men who are ACTUALLY there have been RE-"upping" (which is something the media ALSO keeps well-hidden from the public ! )

They are THERE, they do KNOW the "reality of war", and they are committed to the people they are helping and the good they are doing there.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:13 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• You anti war types don't care about the families of the soldiers who live the war everyday.
    __
    First of all, *I* am anti OIF, and *I* AM a family member. I've sent my husband to Iraq 3 different times for a total of 40 months. I DO live it. That's why I think they need to get out of there... And there are a lot of military families and even soldiers, who don't think we ever should have went into Iraq and who think we need to get out ASAP.

I am sorry for the loss of your husband. You are living my worst fear. You are so much stronger than me to still be going on.

As far as your husband's death being in vain, I don't think that any of them were. We've lost a lot of good friends in Iraq and a few more to suicides. Their sacrifices weren't in vain because they were still serving their country. NO matter what that meant.

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 6:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Waldorfmom, I actually see a lot of good photos in the media. Of all kinds. But maybe that's just because I notice stuff like that, especially on local news channels.

I think that the real reason why they're "re-upping" is because of the large amounts of money thrown at them to re-enlist while in theatre. Most combat arms soldiers can re-enlist in theatre and get at least $30,000 lump sum, tax free. Some get MUCH more.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 6:24 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• But, no I don't think it should be shown, simply because the family asked them not to. Out of respect for the family, it should never have been released.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 6:26 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I would hope that everyone would think about how would you feel if it was the last minutes of your child's life being displayed for all the world to see. The family asked for them not to display the pictures and out of respect to them and for their son's sacrifice they should honor their wishes.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 6:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• It is called common decency, which many people of this country have lost, especially the media.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Sep. 4, 2009