Do any of you make protein shakes for your school aged children?

I was looking around on the internet and see if Protein Shakes are good for your kids. There are some people that say its good and then its bad. I was wondering what any of your opinions are. I want to start making smoothies for my kids and get them more interested in fruit, but I thought what about protein shakes. They can be good too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• my sister has one after soccer practice...shes 11
    its not bad, it'd be the same if she were to eat a bunch of chicken and hard boiled eggs, excepts shes not having to stuff herself to get the nutrients. Theres no harm but they also dont need it if theya arent really active...protein shakes are usually drank after you work out to replenish your body, as you know, but I dont know about just having one for fun
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 5:50 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I'd check with my child's doctor first. For some reason protein shakes rings a bell with me about kidney dangers.

Answer by Bmat at 5:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• the protein powders are generally made from highly processed, genetically modified soy.

make a shake with fruits, kate (lots of calcium and iron), tofu

Answer by rkoloms at 6:32 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• We purchased whey protein powder and add a Tablespoon to each smoothie/shake for my tweens. They can make their own flavors and love it!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Make your own with a couple of pasturized egg whites, 1/2 cup berries, 1/2 cup plain yogurt, ice and maybe some sugar to taste.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:42 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• yes, my daughter loves them and they are so healthy for her. we use the isagenix isalean shakes. they are made with whey protein from organic 100% vegetarian fed cows from new zealand--the highest quality whey out there. i use them too.. they are SO GOOD, they taste just like ice cream!
    jambalover

Answer by jambalover at 2:32 PM on Sep. 6, 2009