My 9 day old isn't gaining weight!

her birth weight was 9lbs 10 oz and at discharge she was 9lbs 1 oz. At her check up yesterday she had lost even more weight and was down to 8lbs 14 oz. We have her feeding ever 2-3 hours plus 2 oz of formula or pumped milk per feeding.
Any suggestions? I feel like I'm failing, could it be my milk? How can I get it to come in faster? I know its there, it comes out in the pump about 1 1/2 oz per time I pump, sometimes more.
I just need some insight, I don't know what to do!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When you nurse her can you hear her swallow? Do you feel it when your milk let's down? Those are good indications that she's getting milk from you. Try having her nurse longer (15-20 mins at least) on a side- that way she'll get through the foremilk (which tends to be thinner) to the hindmilk which is higher in fat content. If you are able to pump, in additon to bfing then I really doubt your milk production is the problem. I think bigger babies just take longer to get back tobtheir birthweight than smaller babies. If your doc isn't concerned then I wouldn't worry too much. You could also up her feedings to every 1 1/2 hrs if she'll eat that often.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 6:07 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• What PP said and..

Try offering her the breast more often and stop all the different feeding methods for some of the feedings and just do the breast for a couple of them -- babies are WAY better at stimulating production than pumps are. :)
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 6:30 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I'd say, as long as she does not CONTINUE to lose, and starts to gain, and you nurse on demand, and change 6ish diapers a day, you're probably fine, and if this were me, I'd stop the formula. Nursing on demand without supplements does wonders for boosting supply. You could give Mothers Milk Tea a try, or fenugreek, or More Milk Plus, but I don't think you will need it based on what you've said. At this point, the weight loss should stop, and gain should begin. If that DOESN'T happen, you might truly need the supplements. I'd suggest supplementing AT the breast with a SNS, and meeting with an IBCLC, and/or your local La Leche League.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:50 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• P.s. the amount you're getting while pumping is way above average, so I don't think there is a supply issue :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:51 PM on Sep. 4, 2009