Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about Financial Aid for school....

SO...I know that financial aid goes off your parents income, but I dont have a normal situation so I have a question. First, what is the cut-off age when the government no longer factors in your parents income. 2nd, my mother is deceased and my father gave up his parental rights to me when I was 16, making me a permanent ward of the court in Michigan. How will I have to fill out my financial aid, and do you think they will cover most of my expenses?

Answer Question

Asked by mzhazelrae313 at 6:05 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Cut off is 24. Second do you have kids or are you pregnant, because that makes a HUGE GIGANTIC difference.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

  • yes, I have a 2 year old daughter, and Im pregnant with #2, due in Jan...I was goin to start taking some online classes thru my local community college in January also, so I can earn credits and still stay home with the newborn.

    Answer by mzhazelrae313 at 6:19 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

  • YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO PAY A DIME! You will probably not get anything for school this fall, but if you apply for finanical aid at the beginning of 2010 you will get it for Fall of 2010 and they will pay for EVERYTHING. I got almost $3000 in financial aid, I am a single mom and go to community college. My tuition is $1000 and books are like $200, so the rest was to go toward a computer, etc. to make it possible to focus on school. I am taking online classes, as well.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

  • How do I get a free education?

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

  • If you are already a parent you will use your income. You will use your last year's tax return.

    Answer by FL2AK at 9:52 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

  • If you have children you are considered independent of you parents and do not need to include their income. You however as a former ward of the state do not need to include any of your parents financial information. They are no longer your parents once their rights are taken away by a court.
    If I remember correctly the FAFSA actually asks you about being a ward of the state for that very reason. Just a little pet peeve of mine...The state should have explained things like this to you, before they sent you off into the world of adults.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

  • You will probably get to go for free. Having a child, plus a deceased parent should make you eligible for tons of aid. My nieces friend just got into nursing school. She is 20 with 1 child, her mother is a drug addict and her father died a couple years ago. She gets to go for free. You sould have no problems.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

  • thanks everybody! but to anon 10:25....if u KNEW anything about the state..they dont SEND u anywhere. u are automatically out of the system at a certain for your information I have been a respectable tax-paying citizen since I have been an adult, and never went more than 3 months without a job since the age of 16. Plus, if i qualify for financial aid, why wouldnt I take it? Nobody is goin to know everything about a situation until they experience it. This is my first time to college, so I dont know the specifics, only general info they gave please keep your judgemental comments to yourself please, I was asking a general question

    Answer by mzhazelrae313 at 12:56 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.