Is it ok to "borrow" different ideas from many different beliefs?

How do you feel when someone has a belief system that seems to incorporate ideas from several other religions? Does it bother you, or make you feel as though they don't have a belief that truly runs deep?
is it possible to have your own internal beliefs that happen to correlate with several other aspects of others beliefs?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 6:25 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i think its great when people do that, it shows that they are free thinkers, and wont just settled on one way of belief.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 6:28 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My beliefs are very firm and run as deep as they can. But I am very eclectic. My beliefs encompass a great number of paths. So, no, it doesn't bother me at all! lol!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:42 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I think by opening yourself up to aspects of many different beliefs your are less likely to be quick to judge harshly and you will have a better understanding of where people are coming from.

Personally here are a few things from other religons that I admire and try to incorporate in my own home. From the mormons I have taking their 3 mont stockpile of food and ran with it familt and friends who are mormon have helped me to learn how and it has been a blessing in my life to learn this I also agree with thier outlook on education. From my pagan friends I have learned about herbs and how to use them to heal wounds and illness I have also learned so much about caring for and loving the earth and respecting it, and celebrating the change of seasons. I could list more, it doesnt change my core beliefs or thier depth because i can learn from others and adapt it to my life.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 6:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• There are as many religions as there are individuals.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 6:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I think it's fine when they grow a set and acknowledge it. People who insist that parallels to their own beliefs found in pre-dating religions/belief systems are beside the point and have no bearing on theirs, or that those things are somehow not similar at all when they clearly are, or only matter or are right in THEIR religion, really make me want to beat them with something.

I mean religions and religious people collectively...not people like a previous poster, who like to incorporate traditions and knowledge of other beliefs into their own lives in general.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 7:04 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I see no issues with it whatsoever.

I figure we are individuals and not one set of ideas is necessarily going to encompass all we feel or believe so why limit ourselves.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:27 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Syncreticism and eclecticism are fine, in my book! In fact, I tend to practice them myself!

I believe that all religions promote the same love and compassion and offer a relationship with the Divine, so they're all fine by me, and I read/study all of 'em and draw from all of them!

=D
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:32 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I used to practice some aspects of paganism (a little magic, etc) along with my Catholicism and for awhile called myself a Christian witch. It was interesting and gave me a deeper understanding of they way other people believe. I did recently have a dream and a revelation about my faith and went back to only practicing Catholicism without the witchcraft. I won't go back to the pagan part of my life, but I definitely have a deeper understanding both of my own faith and an understanding and respect for other people's beliefs. I think that practicing a little from a variety of beliefs is very valuable and teaches tolerance and understanding. It is also a great tool to helping an individual understand themselves better.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Whatever works for you and makes sense to you. Doesn't bother me at all.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:31 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• It is great! It is like taking the right stuff from the wrong place and putting it with the right path.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Sep. 4, 2009