obama speech...i don't know what the fuss is about!?

i've been seeing alot of activity concerning the obama speech, & what i don't understand is why is there so much fuss about the president speaking to the kids about setting goals & achieving a higher education? i'm sure over the years many presidents have done this, why is this so controversial? i will let my daughter go to school that day & participate. i see nothing wrong w/ the president promoting goals & education! even if mccain would've won i wouldn't have pulled my daughter out of school just because i didnt personally vote for him. it all seems a little overdramatic to me. what's your opinion?

beachmom0703

Asked by beachmom0703 at 6:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=bush+holding+book+upside+down&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=&aqi= roflmao give me a break the entire speech is posted on the white house web site. Every child should have an opportunity to hear it and be a part of it.

Mackenzie40

Answer by Mackenzie40 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I think people are worried that that wont be all that's in his speach, and yes- many of them would have the same concerns even if it werent Obama giving the speech. This is not a concern for my family because A) I don't have T.V. and B) My son is to young to even know who Obama is and why he matters.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 6:39 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• The sore losers are running out of things to complain about. It's ridiculous, all the bs they make up just because they lost.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• i thought i was the only one that didn't get the big deal. coming from someone who has achieved alot, regardless of if you voted for him he is the first black man to be voted pres of the US thats alot and you have to respect it. i think it'd be good to some kids to hear from him how important that education is.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:43 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• The people who oppose Obama are living in a make believe world. They make up all kinds of crazy ideas to scare people and try to get people to believe their lies. The more they reveal themselves, the stupider they look.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• To some people they are still in shock, they Obama is President, it has nothing to do with a speech,people have been speaking to kids in school,since my grandparents time,and that was in the 1920s. It's all about the person delivering the speech. Sad,we just don't get,as,far as in my house,my kids will always respect those in authority,and if,they can learn something in the long run,that's a double blessing.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Why can't he simply address children in an evening speech where parents and guardians can discuss the speech together? Oh, that's right, he wants to usurp the role of the parent!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• my children will be having lunch at the time the address is being given. I sure hope they don't force my children to skip lunch in order to watch or listen to him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• the problem is that he hasn't outlined what he'll be saying...LIKE EVERY OTHER SPEECH HE GIVES! so what is he hiding? call me crazy, but the white house always dishes his speeches out prior to them, so why not this one. My kids are still minors, and yes, I do want to know what someone is telling them! POTUS or not!!! unless he's hiding something, why by shady all of a sudden. Can you say Castro? he did THE SAME THING!!!

I agree...he should be giving this at night, where families can watch and discuss TOGETHER! is he that afraid of parents that he has to go around them?
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 7:20 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• OMG! What is this like the 100th post about effin Obamas dumb speech? If YOU think its all candy and sunshine good for you! Let your kid go to it and don't care. I would suggest you watch it on CSPAN so you can see what was said. For those of US that think it is not appropriate are probably going to either 1 keep them home 2 send in a permission slip which has been sent out saying they are not allowed to see it. or 3 request to sit in the class while it is happening (it is your right as a parent to observe this)
    I know this is coming IF my child were to have been in school during BUSH I would have done the same thing. I would not want my kid listening to Bush and coming home thinking "subliminable" or "new-cue-ler" are correct pronunciations of subliminal and nuclear.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Sep. 4, 2009