Is the teacher right???

I just picked up my 4 year old from pre k they have a thing at school if you are good all week you get a prize well my child had her 4 year old check up yesterday and didn't go to school so when i walked in to get her the teacher goes Emilee was good all week long but since she missed a day she dont get a prize...I didn't say anything but they have to have shots to go to school but if they miss a day they don't get a prize???? to make it worse there is a boy (he is very bad everyday but the days he did come this week was very good) who is in her class that had to go home after one hour of being in class b/c he was sick and didn't even come the next day i helped out in her class thats how i know this and he got a prize I don't think this is fair at all how would you address this write a note, in person, or forget it (my child don't seem to care but i am mad about this)????

Shannon706

Asked by Shannon706 at 6:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well if thats how she runs her class than so be it. But if your still upset about it , call the principal and ask if its allowed to run it like that.
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 6:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• yeah....that is crap
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 6:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I homeschool because of all the stories like yours!
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 6:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I'd let the teacher know that you understand the rules but this is kind of a slap in the face. "Yes you were good but because you had to go to the doctor you don't get a toy". Totally NOT fair. Especially since there are times it takes weeks to get into see a doc. I'd just pull her to the side and explain. Let her know that this time it's okay but when something is out of your daughters control than it shouldn't affect if she gets a toy.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 6:57 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• well that bites but if your dd doesn't seem to care then I wouldn't make a deal about it. But if it really does bother you then talk to the teacher.
    nurbabe82

Answer by nurbabe82 at 7:02 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• That sucks! Poor Baby fair is fair they should have let her get a prize!
    neveragain17

Answer by neveragain17 at 7:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• why not give you kid a prize or take her out for ice cream?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• well I was going to say it didn't really seem like a big deal UNTIL you said about the other kid getting a toy when he was absent, that isn't fair, maybe she gave him a toy before she remembered he shouldn't get one? mistakes happen BUT maybe you can do your own prize schedule with your dd? let her know she still must follow the teacher's set rules, but that you also expect her to follow your rules also, and you giving her a prize for good behavior at school and at home would be more benefiting to you both than rather her depending on being rewarding by the teacher when you as a mom is really the best teacher she can have
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 7:19 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• The teacher actually said "Emilee was good all week long but since she missed a day she dont get a prize." I'd have her removed and put into another class!! Any teacher who cannot use proper (basic) grammar shouldn't be teaching!

Did you notify the teacher in advance that Emilee would be missing that day? Did you turn in a note afterward as to WHY she missed that day? There's a huge difference between being sick and an "unexcused" absence (if you hadn't let them know why she was missing that day)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Where did that teacher get her degree or does she have one? Look any good teacher knows better than to single out children and that's just what she did. She is trying to find a way to praise the kids with toys and praising should be more than just buying them from the kid. It should be expected of the child to behave and be good. Special treats should be for every one. If a child is absent from a party, a good teacher will make sure that a student is assigned the task of getting a big baggy for the absent student to have all their stuff put in and get the next time they come to school. Her rules need to be changed. She's not a teacher, she's a briber. I agree with you. Her rules stink, so does her behavior modification.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 7:31 PM on Sep. 4, 2009