how can i tell if my body is making enough milk for my baby

she is 5 months . and she is breast freed but when i pump for her to have milk while im in school the most i get is 2 to 3 oz

kieramommy

Asked by kieramommy at 7:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's normal. lol

Try pumping your opposite breast while baby is eating in the morning right after you guys get up.. You might see enough milk output to last your entire day of school! You might not, too. I only ever get 3 oz in the morning. Some people get a lot more than that in the morning, though!

Also try pumping while baby is eating at other times, I always see almost 1/2 oz extra when I do that.

I only ever get 2 oz max out of my boobs besides in the morning tho.. and my baby is fine! Pumps don't mean you don't have enough milk. Diaper count and baby's behavior is more important. :)
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 10:10 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• 2-3oz is a LOT. Average pumping output is .5-2oz TOTAL for both breasts. She only needs 1-1.25oz per hour that you two are separated. Count her diapers, if she's having 6-8 wet and/or poopy diapers in 24 hours you're making plenty of milk.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 7:41 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• If she is fed on demand, gaining weight (or at least not losing, because sometimes the gain slows down) and you are changing 6-8 diapers a day, then you are making enough.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• yeah the above posts are correct and jus so you know its COMPLETELY different to pump than it is to have a baby at the breast.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:47 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Pumping is different! A baby is so much more effective than a pump.I could nurse all the time, but pumping was such a bummer for me, all that work for so little reward! But by pumping while you are away is keeping your supply up!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 7:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2009