When can she have a blanket?

My DD will be 7 months on the 12th and I was wondering when she can have a blanket in her crib with her. The doctor said I can try putting some stuff in her crib with her so she can comfort herself and help put herself back to sleep in the middle of the night. I have a glow-worm in there with her but I didn't remember what he said about blankets. How old was your little one when you let them sleep with a blanket?

HolliBerry21

Asked by HolliBerry21 at 8:02 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• we let out little guy sleep with loosely knit blankets from day one (like teh crocheted kind with the big holes in them) at 7 months your almost out of the sids risk time anyways basically if she can get herself out of a predicamnet (like the blanket over her head) she is ready for a blanket but we only use baby size blankets we never ever put in like a throw blanket or twin size or anything because that he probably could get tangled up in a way that he couldnt get out of
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 8:08 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• our little boy always had his receiving blankets from the get go and i know he wasn't anymore than 3 months old when he started with his fuzzie..
    RykersMom07

Answer by RykersMom07 at 8:05 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My guys had blankets over them from day one home from the hospital.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:20 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• All three of my children had blankets since day one also, nothing big, bulky or plush just a simple blanket to cover up with at night.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:29 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I swaddled my daughter until she was 6 months and able to roll over easily either way. So, at 6 months we just laid blankets on her and she can shove them off if she doesn't want it on her
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 8:57 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My baby had a blanket from day one because she was born in March and here it is way too cold to not let her have a blanket. Just make sure that you don't put it up by her face although by now she could probably just pull it off...
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 9:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• when it got chilly out I always put a blanket in there with her. She didn't want to use it, but I always had it in there just in case she was cold. Tuck it under her arms when you tuck her in and just check her the first couple times to make sure she doesnt pull it up over her face. Usually the basic rule is that once the child can move their head around enough to get away from something that is covering their face, they should be fine to have things in her crib.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 9:46 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• She should be fine with a blanket as long as it isn't too heavy or big..

If it's not cold where you are you could try buying a heavier winter-like sleeper-suit or sleep sack instead of a blanket. They won't have them in stores because it's not winter. You'll just have to order it on the net if you want to go that route.

If it's cold at night where you are even with the sleeper / sack you'll need a blanket over her too, but atleast with the sleeper on if she kicks her blanket off in the middle of the night she won't wake up because she's cold.

My son was waking up a bunch of times in the night because he was kicking his blankets off and getting cold - soI bought him a sleep sack by kiddopotamus. Halo makes them too, but armless, so I like the kiddopotamus version because it has arms. Try ebay or onestepahead :)
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 12:12 PM on Sep. 5, 2009