How easily influenced are your kids?

If you plan on keeping your child home on the 8th what does that say about your opinion of your child? Do you realy think your child could be influenced by a short speech on TV?
My child has critical thinking. When he hears things that don't make sense he knows it. No one is going to influnce him through a short speech on TV!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Anyway, to answer the question OP... my kids aren't going to be easily brainwashed. I have more confidence in their individuality than to think any other way. Even my youngest at 7 years old already has some opinions of her own. We don't support Obama, and the schools my kids attend are not showing the speech for planning reasons more than anything. However, I wouldn't care if they did show it. My kids will learn about the different views of others and then we can discuss that. The best way to raise open minded, well rounded, tolerant kids is to communicate with them and discuss everything with them. That is what we do.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:15 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Didn't you ask this exact same question yesterday?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• is you don't want your child to watch it then don't if you do then do
    just drop it damn this is getting annoying!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• my children are influenced by the things my husband and I say, do, and teach them. obama will have absolutely no influence on them. they are not going to tell me when they are 17, and applying to college, "you know mom and dad, way back when I was in 1st grade, I remember former President Obama telling me to stay in school, and go to college and be the best I could be, and so that is why i am going to go to college."

they'll be going to college because they will otherwise be forced to pay us rent to continue to live at home while they work a minimum wage job. as highly educated parents, we expect nothing less from our children than to become highly educated, and productive members of society themselves.

children learn from their parents examples, demands and expectations--not from a 20 minute speech by some ineffectual, wet-behind-the-ears, narcissistic president.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• so 8:33 your kids will watch it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Most parents say they want to raise free thinkers who use logic. What they really mean is I want to raise a child who thinks and believes the same way as me. Which, there is nothing wrong with that. Be real about yourself if this is your wish, your wish is to raise a child who thinks like you - not necessarily a child who would challenge your thoughts and feelings. I do want to raise a free thinker and look forward to the day that we can discuss our points of views, thoughts, and feelings about various topics. I'm not going to demand it or belittle him or our friends for having different thoughts or views. I have a lot of different views from the ones my parents have and from the ideas and values they tried to instill in me. It still irks my parents I'm not a card carrying proud member of the NRA. On other issues I have similar stances, just not the exact same.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I am a homeschooler, of course my children are free thinkers and have logic... they do not go to PS :)
    TinasTribe

Answer by TinasTribe at 8:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• How did this turn into a public school bash? Why can't homeschoolers say nice things about home school without saying bitchy things about public school????????????

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• free thinkers who use logic

free thinkers are liberals, and we know they don't use logic!

my children will be conservatives and learn to use their brains!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• so 8:33 your kids will watch it?

didn't get past the first paragraph, did we?

if you were capable of reading further without drifting off, you would have seen this part:

"they'll be going to college because they will otherwise be forced to pay us rent to continue to live at home while they work a minimum wage job. as highly educated parents, we expect nothing less from our children than to become highly educated, and productive members of society themselves."

obama means nothing to my children, they turn to us, their parents for guidance. they have trouble relating to someone who doesn't look like them...you know how that goes, right?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Sep. 4, 2009