How can I get my 2 year old to stay in his toddler bed?

My 2 year old has been getting out of his new toddler bed alot this past week. We go about our regular bedtime to include reading a book, sometimes two for him to be in bed at 8-8:15. This week however, he has been getting out of bed and no matter what I try I'm not successful at getting him to go to bed without ending up frustrated and he in tears. Any tips or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Renee

sunnyclearblue

Asked by sunnyclearblue at 8:25 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First, try not to get frustrated. I know how annoying it can be as we've done the same drill with our son. First, make sure you're putting him down when he's tired but not overtired. Our son would get back up if he wasn't really tired enough. (Trying adjusting length of nap and/or activity level, as needed.) We would go through the bedtime routine and leave. If he got up or protested, we went back in, put him back in bed and woudl stay with him as long as he stayed in his bed. We left if he got up. We'd repeat this drill until he went to sleep. Once he realized he wasn't going to win, the problem was solved. When you put him back into bed (or stay in the room), don't interact with him other than to tell him it was bedtime. Be very boring! Also, be very persistent and consistent. Once he realizes he's going to be put back into bed, he'll give up. (Sooner rather than later, hopefully!)
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:05 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• its probably time to start waking him up early from nap or doing a BIG ENERGY activity shortly before bed. Otherwise, there's not much you can do other than sit in his room with him until he falls asleep. Well, you could try going in every 5 min and putting him back to bed, but that will be a game for a while and make you more frustrated. Try taking all the toys out of his room so that he has nothing to do. Give him 1 or 2 things to play with IN BED and tell him he has to stay in bed or you will take them away. Be consistent, but don't force him. He may just need to burn off a little more energy before he gets tired enough to give up and go to bed. Don't be surprised if you find him sleeping on the floor!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:02 PM on Sep. 4, 2009