Catholics...

how often do you read the bible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Exactly what do people mean by saying they weren't "encouraged" to read the bible? Are you saying someone should have forced you to read it, or that you were told you couldn't read it, or what?

I'm almost 50 years old and I was told to read the bible. When I was in Catholic school we got a new bible every year and we read it and discussed it. When I was in public school and went to CCD I got a new bible every year and we read it and discussed it. When I had my first communion I got a book of bible stories.

If someone couldn't answer your questions then you should have asked someone else or done some research. There are enough resources around that if those people around you are poorly catechised you don't have to be unless you choose to be.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• While I am no longer a Catholic when I was I never read the Bible. I don't if things have changed, but I was never encouraged to.

Peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 8:47 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• never went to mass joyce? LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I was raised Catholic and left the church. Reading the Bible was not encouraged. There is a huge difference between listening to a few verses in church and sitting down and reading it for yourself and studying the word. Even after 12 years of Catholic church and Catholic school, I was truly Bible ignorant when I left the church. Over the past years I have delved into the Bible and am, finally, learning HOW to read the Bible, HOW to study, HOW to pray (without reading it) and HOW to have a real relationship with God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• oh great-another chance to gang up on the Catholics.

I am Catholics and as a Catholic I was taught to take things on and learn. I also had a bible classes during my 16 years of Catholic education.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• ops make that 17 forgot about Kindergarten and will start another 2 years for grad school. But I guess I just got a good set of parents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I personally read from the bible two to three times a week (not counting reading random verses and the like). And of course I listen to Bible readings at every Mass. And contrary to what someone said they're not "a few verses". At Sunday Mass there's a reading from the OT which reflects the themes expressed in the Sunday gospel reading. I think this is great way to see how the OT and NT complement each other. There is a reading/singing of a psalm. And there's a reading from one of the epistles too. These letters are read semi-continuously - each Sunday we pick up where we left off the Sunday before.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Weird how former Catholics claim to never have been encouraged to read the Bible. I was and when I only had two children and life was a little less hectic I went to Bible study on Tues mornings. That group then formed a Purpose Driven Life group which met for several weeks. My daughter's school provides a Bible which they keep all through high school and it's theirs to keep forever. In religion class last year they had to write a short essay on certain Bible verses (they got to pick from a list that was relevant to the discussion of each week). They will be doing something similar this year. My younger kids at Religious Ed all have to read the Bible and the teachers read from the Bible each week. When they were in Catholic school they studied the Bible quite thoroughly in Religion class. So yes, we read the Bible. Those that really understand the faith that is.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:59 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Generally speaking, most Catholics are not taught to memorize the bible and be able to quote certain verses or be able to name the book and chapter if given a verse. But that doesn't mean Catholics are not taught about the bible or not encouraged to read the bible. My church provided children's bibles for kids and as I mentioned the bible is read at every Mass. Quoting exact things may not be big for many Catholics, but they do know the stories and the teachings and the messages taught in the bible.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:00 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• If I could add to what you said eringobrough, there is more bible reading the gospel specifically during the transubstantiation.
    Luke 22:17, 19-20 - "Then he took a cup, and after giving thanks
    he said, 'Take this and divide it among yourselves;...'
    Then he took a loaf of bread,
    and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them,
    saying, 'This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.'
    And he did the same with the cup after supper,
    saying, 'This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.' "
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Sep. 4, 2009