Which is better for learning violin at four: suzuki or regular lessons?

My son will be four soon and is interested in the violin. I got him a 1/2 size, but now I'm hearing that he should do suzuki. I don't know. What do you think. Anyone with kids that play the violin this young?

Mommee42boyz

Asked by Mommee42boyz at 8:39 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Isn't a half size too big? (I can't remember, but I think it is). Did you have him measured for the violin?
    21stCenturyMom

Answer by 21stCenturyMom at 12:04 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• SUZIKI -- I LOVE them. I learned violin on the suziki method and would so love my kids to do it too but there are no suziki teachers in my area.
    It not only teaches violin but also trains their mind to remember things. ITs GREAT not only for music but for concentration, memory etc.etc.etc.
    They don't teach reading music at first -- which can be a little off putting but its for a reason.

Personally, I LOVE it.
    Oh and always have him measured for the violin. I started violin at like 5 and my brother started at 3.
    We both played into our teens (we each quit b/c we were well teen idiots) -- both played briefly with the local jr. orchestra and gave concerts.
    His ear and general music abilities so good he also taught himself how to play the sax (good enough that when my mom got him a teacher the teacher quickly said that he needed advanced teaching and to take him to the University School of Music)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:51 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• For a preschooler Suzuki would be the best way to go my son is four and he loves it.

DACIA79

Answer by DACIA79 at 4:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I am choosing between two instructors. One teaches suzuki and the other is very accomplished. I'm still deciding...
    Mommee42boyz

Answer by Mommee42boyz at 12:50 PM on Sep. 12, 2009