Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son's b-day falls in spetember (past the cutoff for kindergarten). Should I get him tested in or wait?


Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

This question is closed.
Answers (15)
  • My son was 4 when he started Kindergarten for 3 weeks. He was ready to go academically but more importantly was mature enough and emotionally ready. He is the youngest in his 2nd grade class this year and is doing well. I could not imagine him just starting 1st grade. I would get him tested. You know your child if you feel he is ready for school send him. I personally feel for little ones who are held back. My nephew is also in 2nd grade he will be 9 in November. He was more than ready for Kindergarten long before his mom would allow him to go. The school has offered to move him up to 3rd grade. Academically he would be fine he is very far ahead of his peers. My own son is very far ahead of his class at the end of this 9 weeks they may bump him to 3rd grade. He is tall for his age so the kids wouldn't know he was only 7.

    Do what is best for your child not what other moms tell you is best.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

  • just let him wait...the only thing that will be is he will be one of the older kids in class...

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

  • Unless he is outrageously bored and needs more stimulation, I would wait. If he's the youngest he may struggle more and have to work harder, whereas another year under his belt and he'll be very prepared for success =)

    Answer by gramsmom at 9:16 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

  • wait!! waiting another year will make it so much easier/better for him!! he wont struggle as much..yaa he may be fine in kindergarten/grade 1..but every year will get yaa having that extra year for him will help him so much better in the long run!!

    Answer by alexis_06 at 1:19 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

  • wait, get him in the YMCA in the meantime!

    Answer by muffin400 at 7:28 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

  • do what is best for your he ready? if you feel like he's ready, have him tested. who's great wisdom decided in what month and day the cut off for itelligence & maturity was? I waited with my oldest son who is now almost 18 and a senior this made him very lazy in school....because he was smart enough to handle it, but I got the advice to keep him back-I have regretted it the entire time!


    Answer by tobramerthanemo at 9:11 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

  • Most children will be better off by waiting the extra year. Someone who just turned 5 may not be emotionally mature enough for Kindergarten.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

  • If your child is bright for their age; waiting could be a mistake because they will be bored when they go later on. There is nothing to lose by seeing if your child can attend Kindergarten now if accepted.

    Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 2:41 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

  • Nothing to lose by getting him tested, if he gets in then he goes and if he doesn't then he goes to preschool for another year. I have a September baby too and he'll always be the youngest in his class because we live in one of 9 towns in my state where he makes the cut off date. He's in pre-K this year and will be starting K next year, barring any issues.

    Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:26 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

  • Is he socially ready to be in Kindergarten? Has he been away from you or dad? Is he used to sitting still for extended periods, can he follow directions, do what he is told? Sometimes, it is not only about being educationally ready but socially ready. That is still a big part of going to Kindergarten, social skills.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:42 PM on Sep. 5, 2009