Will I get into trouble?

My son will be 3 soon. I haven't taken him to the dr. since his 1 year check up.(we lost insurance and then couldn't get him on the new insurance at DH's job, long story) I've lucked out because he's never gotten sick ( I would have taken him if he got sick) Anyways, he also behind on his shots. He needs some of his 2 year shots. I didn't feel them necessary because he's always stayed home with me instead of going to daycare. So what I'm asking I guess is when I take him to the Health Dept to get his shots, Will they give me a copy of his records? Am I going to be in trouble for being behind? Does he have to have shots for school? Also, I plan on taking him for a checkup to the dr. soon. Is the dr. going to be mad that he hasn't been there in so long?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You won't know until you do it. There's no point in worrying about it, really. You're doing it now and catching everything up.

If anything is said, you just tell them what you've posted here. There isn't much anyone can do about it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:49 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• THye may comment on it, and be a bit annoyed. But if your son is healthy and growing well they shouldn't be mad. You are getting them now, so that is what is important. ANd they should get them as everyone wants to see them.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:51 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I did the same thing with my 2nd born! She was really behind in her shots but once we got the insurance straightened out, I took her to the Dr. and got her caught up. If you can, make an appointment with the Dr. right away and get her caught up. I can't tell you what the Dr will say to you but my Dr. didn't say anything except to please keep all appointments, lol. Within a few months she was completely caught up and no report was made to the board of health or anything.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 9:07 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• you will not be in trouble...they will give you a copy of your records once you get the shots..and they'll probably just be glad your getting it done now..rather than letting the child go longer...:) You doctor will probably comment on it..and I'm sure will definitely understand your situation, being a nurse we see stuff like this everyday..its VERY common :) don't worry about it girl!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• They should give you a copy of his immunizations and YES he MUST have them before he can attend school. This also applies to public preschool.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:57 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• You won't get in trouble, but you will be lectured. Just because a child is "healthy" doesn't mean there isn't something wrong or they don't need to be seen by a doctor. Kids need yearly checkups to make sure they are growing properly. It isn't just about that they aren't sick. It would be a good idea to get him caught up on his shots before he goes to school, his immune system will take a hit when he starts school because he isn't exposed to a lot of germs. Also, you do NOT have to have your child immunized before they can attend school, there are waivers available, although I don't see why anyone would not get their children immunized. But that is my opinion.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:01 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• You may well get a nurse or dr that chews you out but you won't get in any official trouble. If they start to give you grief just say "I didn't have insurance then, I do now and I'm making sure he is all caught up and healthy." If they still give you grief after that you could always file a complaint with the practice.

BTW, most practices will not refuse to immunize a child even if you can't pay for it. Every dr I have been in lately has had a sign in their waiting room to that effect. If you're just getting the shots it's literally just in and out; I had to take my guy back for one because he was sick for his annual visit and I was there maybe 2 minutes and it was just a nurse that did the shot so it doesn't cost the practice much other than the cost of the drug. I know you have coverage now but this might help someone else who doesn't.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:50 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• i am glad you ask thid because i have the same problem....so you are not alone my son hasnt been since he was 2 and he is now four. he has never been sick. he has not really missed any shots though i dont think, but i do need to get him in for some now i think
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I don't think you can get in trouble but you need shot records to start school and your doc or any doc can get copy of that by faxing to wherever the place is shots have been done in past. Depends on doc if they comment but who cares they can't do anything let them be pissed
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 12:37 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Google "Community Health Centers" to find the master Web site of government-run health clinics that will see anyone, regardless of their ability to pay. You can drill down to find the location of a clinic near you.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:15 AM on Sep. 6, 2009