husband keeps spending money we don't have! (on fast food)

we have been really broke because we moved and we are both working full time. we've already had 4 overdraft fees (a total of $140). my husband keeps spending all of this money on going out to eat. like he will order pizza for $20 every week! that's $80/month (plus a couple overdraft fees!) on top of that he will spend about $50 on other fast food during a month. it's so frustrating because he already gets free lunch 5 days per week because he works at a restaurant. i take sandwiches and salads for my lunch everyday and don't spend all this going out to eat.

anyone else have this problem? i get so sick of being the nag. he knows he shouldn't do it and just says he won't but i don't see an end to it and i don't know how we're ever going to get on top of our bills if he can't stop this. grrr.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• Marriage counselor?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Personally I would open my own account so that he will have to deal with all the over drafts himself. He also should know that has an effect on his credit score.

Peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 8:51 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• first of all i would have my own bank account not joined with him so that never happens and yes i do have one i make my own money and i spend it on what i need to i have a 2 yr old daughter if she needs something i get it for her my suggestion to you is to open your own account
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Oh I hear ya. Fast foods is so bad but we do it too. When we are in a crunch with money we try to cook more and I take all his cc's away from him.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 8:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Put him on an allowance. ANd take all plastic and checks away.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:11 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• He knows you are going to pull him through, he is selfish, I say that only because you said he works in a restaurant, and eats lunch there,is your DH young,he sounds immature. You need your own bank account,if he is over-drawn,he'll have to pay the fees.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Separate your bank accounts.He sounds selfish to me.Thank god my husband is not like that.He can be selfish,but only with his chips.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Pack him a lunch......he may get tired of what he eats even if he works at a restuarant......my hubby would love to eat out everyday but I tell him no.....money is tight everwhere.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 3:25 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I am there. Last month alone we had a total of $240 in overdraft fees. My DH's problems is that he believes in those websites that you pay for shipping and you make all sorts of money. I can only offer the advice another CM said take cc cards away, i have had to do this each time we have an account together.
    mandic

Answer by mandic at 5:04 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I have a similar problem with my husband.It's not fast food that is the problem.he likes to buy movies and video games.This past weekend he wanted to buy a Nerf Gun that cost $20.We still have bills that need to be paid and I needed gas money.In the end,he didn't get the gun.he is only 26 years old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Sep. 7, 2009