Impatient!

My 2 year old is very impatient about everything! When I fix supper, bath time going bye-bye he stands at my feet screaming until i am ready for him. We gate off certain areas of the house and if he wants in he screams until we come in there with him and he wants us to hold him. If he doesn't get what he wants he screams about it. This has all started about 3-4 weeks ago, he never used to scream, cry, throw a fit about anything and now all of a sudden when he wants it, he wants it NOW! I really don't know how to break him of this so if you have any ideas I would love to hear them. Thanks!

mom112207

Asked by mom112207 at 9:08 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 2 yr old can be equally impatient. I try to calmly acknowledge what he wants but tell him he needs to wait because.. then give him the reason. I then ignore the screaming and continue on with whatever needs to be done before I'm ready for him. It won't stop it he gets what he wants that way. I want him to know that I'm not ignoring him but that he needs to learn to wait! A tough concept for toddlers!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:21 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• its a stage. He's testing you to see what he can get away with and what will make you come running. If you can stand it, just ignore him. Tell him a couple times that your coming, what your doing, why he has to wait, etc.. and then just stop responding. Once he gets the idea that his screaming isn't going to make you come running, chances are it will stop. Of course, if he gets out of control or starts wrecking the joint, implement the proper discipline, like a time out.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• It's a phase, and if he's not especially verbal, screaming is how he will say that he is frustrated. Baby gates lead to frustration, boundaries lead to frustration. Make sure that you are giving him attention when he does need it, and yes, ignoring the behavior can help. Or a short "break/time out" in his room. Try not to make it a "punishment" or it will start a fight. Explain to him that you are sorry that he is mad (giving him a way to describe his/your feelings, since he may not have the words-hence the screaming), tell him he needs time to "calm down" in his room, and when he is calm he can come out. (don't time him) When he does calm himself, be sure to hug & praise him, after all, it's a big thing for a 2 y/o to learn how to calm himself.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:51 AM on Sep. 5, 2009