Please help calm my nerves =/

I'm due in for a root-canal with Comfort Dental in two weeks. I've never had one before and the doctor know's I'm 6 months pregnant. He said he will use anesthesia for the pain. I'm TERRIFIED not of the procedure, but of what it could do to my baby. Honestly, I have no idea. =[
Can anyone help calm my nerves?

Christie814

Asked by Christie814 at 9:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had a root canal during my first trimester and everything that was used for it was safe. I made sure when I went in each time to clarify that I was pregnant and in my first trimester. And the pain during and after was nothing compared to the awful pain I went thru before I had the root canal. No worries, everything will be fine!
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 9:24 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I had to get all of my teeth pulled during this pregnancy and they said that the meds they gave me for pain had no effect on the baby whatsoever. I would talk to your dentist and find out the exact name of the meds you will be given and then talk to your DR. and find out what he or she thinks.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 9:16 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• "Doctors generally agree that inhaled and intravenous anesthetics and narcotics have a long history of being safe when pregnant."

I'm assuming they are going to use regional and not general anesthetics, so don't worry about it! IF you are still really worried and there's any way to wait, you could postpone it until you're in your third trimester so that any labour triggering that you're worried about wouldn't be as big of a deal.

I've had a root canal before and all I got was a little shot for pain relief, I'm sure since they already know your situation they will be extra careful about dosing for you! Wishing you a speedy recovery and calmed nerves!!!! <3
    HeresHoping

Answer by HeresHoping at 9:18 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it's just local anesthia. They don't inject you with any meds or give you gas for root canals. Good luck!
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 9:25 PM on Sep. 4, 2009