Experience vs. Education

What do you think is more vital experience or education? I am confused at the moment because I have a chance to get my AA in medical office management but what I am worried about is after finishing school is it realistic to get hired off of education alone, or do you think that I will be sitting around and eventually probably get a job thats low balling my "credentials" because of no experience.I did do a diploma program for medical office specialist and four months later I am still sitting at home with no job because I have no experience and no body will hire w/out experience. Even though an advisor said that having a degree is more appealing than a diploma but I am still concerned about whether or not experience is better than education. I was thinking that I should just focus on getting a job in a medical office and eventually I could move up into management but I am not sure. Just asking the opinions of others. Thanks!!

wendydeb7

Asked by wendydeb7 at 9:20 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• You need both. It's not a vs type of thing. Get the education and do an internship while your in school or just after you graduate.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:24 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I really think it depends on the person who is hiring you. My husband hires managers and Doctors and he would rather have somebody with experience because it's easier for them to get settled and it's less work he has to put in training them. However, I worked in a medical office and I asked my boss why she hired me because I had no experience and she told me that she liked that I had a college education. So you never know what the person hiring you is looking for. The only thing I can say is college will never hurt your chances of getting a job.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 9:27 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I really think you need both. When I was in college I took an entry level position in the field I wanted to work in. My work knew that I was going to college and supported me while I gained experience and an education. Once I finished college and there was an opening I was promoted. Even before I was promoted I was given more responsibility and received training for the higher position. By time I finished college I had 5 years of work experience in my field along with the degree. Like a previous poster said at least do some internships or even offer to do volunteer work if you have to. Having hands on experience will make you stand out when you graduate.

FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 9:43 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Have you gone to the placement office at the school you attended?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:46 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• both, right now try to find a job and if possible go to get the degree at the same time. but either way you'll get paid more for more experience and more for the education aspect when you get that done as well.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:00 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• You'll do best of all with both. Get the education and even if you have to volunteer or intern in an office to get experience before you get an actual paying job......well, there's your "experience".
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:14 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• You do need both. And if you DON'T have the degree, you need even more experience than if you had it.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:49 AM on Sep. 5, 2009