help please

my three year has been talking for over a year and it's very clear but the last few days its almost like a stutter i mean he starts a sentence like " mama mama mama mama " then says the rest of his sentence it sounds like he is trying to figure out how to say what he is trying to say but i dont know how to correct it cause he doesnt really know he is doing it he just does it if you know what this is please help me

quinn24

Asked by quinn24 at 9:33 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If I were you I'd take him to the Dr. and make absolutely sure there isn't anything wrong with him. Crap that sounds mean, I hope you understand and don't think I'm being an ass. My 3 year old son sometimes has to pause because he can't remember what he was about to say or he can't figure out the words he wants to use. When he first did this I took him to the Dr just to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with him. The Dr. said that he's fine and it's just what I thought it was, he just couldn't figure out exactly what he wanted to say and how to say it.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 9:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I know it's normal, I was thinking of asking just to find out how common it is. You can mention it to your doctor, but it is very normal. I'm just getting so frustrated because it takes so long for my son to get a thought out sometimes. It's like "ma ma ma mommy... mommy what.... mommy what... mommy... mommy what do.... mommy what do..... mommy how do you do this?."
    I can't think of an exact example but he repeats most of the entire sentance over and over like a broken record until he finally finds the word he's looking for. I try not to show it and be really patient, but it's really getting frustrating. He doesn't do it all the time, but it's still a lot.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:52 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Oh, and it's stuttering. If you look up stuttering (I just did today) you will find that it's very common in 2-5 year olds, it comes on suddenly and can last for months, but it almost always (99% of the time) goes away on it's own. What you should do is be patient and not bring it to his attention, which can make him frustrated and self concious.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• thank you so much it makes me feel so better to be able to talk to other moms about this i am gonna make him a dr appointment on Tuesday just to be on the safe side
    quinn24

Answer by quinn24 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Mybella81 is correct! Disfluency at this age is very common because children are going through a language explosion! Your son is learning new words daily or weekly and has so much he wants to say they he cannot get the words out quick enough. It is important that you do not make to much of a big deal about it. You do not want him to become selfconcious about it. Just model slow, easy speech for him when you talk and be patient when he is trying to talk to you. Tell others not to say things to make him self concious and also don't gesture or shake you head like you want him to hurry up and get the words out. This phase should pass in a typical fashion. I don't think you need to make a Dr. appt.,, maybe an appointment with a speech therapist if you really are concerned.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:52 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I wouldn't worry, stuttering at this age is very common and should go away on it's own. I wouldn't make an appointment just for this, I would just wait until the next appt and ask the doctor about it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:57 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• It's just stuttering. As long as it goes away after a period of time (give it at least a few weeks) there's no problem.

All you do is sit patiently and wait for him to get out what he's trying to say. If it continues after a few months, or gets worse, then you speak to a pediatrician.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Stuttering doesn't always go away after a few weeks, most speech issues take a good amount of time to resolve themselves Im not saying that your son has a speech issue FYI :) Id talk to his PED if your still worried but as a mom of two boys in speech currently Id say give it a bit kids at this age are still figuering out sounds, letters, etc etc
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 9:08 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• my son did this too! he is three and a half now...it started right after he turned three....went away shortly afterwards...i think its fairly normal
    hulapixie

Answer by hulapixie at 1:00 AM on Sep. 6, 2009